Outreach Libn. @ U. of MD Health Sciences Lib.
Location: Anaheim Calif.
Online Status: Offline
Topic: Outreach Libn. @ U. of MD Health Sciences Lib.
Posted: 09/Oct/2013 at 5:42pm
Health Sciences and Human Services Library
University of Maryland
The Health Sciences and Human Services Library (HS/HSL) at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) seeks a well-informed, enthusiastic, and resourceful Outreach Librarian to advance the outreach mission of the Library, focusing on underserved communities and health disparities in Baltimore, the state of Maryland, and beyond. This non-tenure track faculty position reports to the Head of Research, Education and Outreach Services, a department within the Services Division.
HS/HSL's mission is to improve the health and wellness of the diverse communities we serve by providing quality information services, resources and products. It is our goal to be recognized as the leading provider of quality health information for UMB and throughout Maryland, the region, and the global community.
Engages the Community
• Serves the citizens of Maryland by promoting and delivering innovative health information outreach services to diverse communities
• Develops and provides instruction on consumer-oriented health resources
• Develops technology-based programming to improve health outcomes in Maryland
• Collaborates with campus partners and with library faculty on school-based outreach endeavors
• Collaborates with University System of Maryland partners on projects with a health literacy or health information component
• Builds partnerships with state and local health departments and with Maryland community-based organizations
• Serves as the HS/HSL representative to the UMB President’s Outreach Council
• Collaborates on divisional projects, serves on library-wide committees, and is active in professional organizations such as the Medical Library Association and the American Public Health Association
• Seeks out public and private partners and prepares grant applications to secure external funding sources
• Works with researchers to bring University research findings to the community via translational research projects
• Engages in community-based participatory research projects with health information or health literacy components
• MLS from an ALA-accredited library school
• Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated experience with current and emerging technologies
• Demonstrated ability to develop and provide instruction
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Demonstrated understanding of the academic library’s role in translational research
• Organizational and problem-solving skills
• Strong service mission
• Valid driver’s license
• Ability to travel locally and long-distance
• Experience and scholarship sufficient to be appointed at the rank of Librarian I or II under the UMB Criteria and Procedures relating to the Appointment, Promotion and Permanent Status for Librarian Faculty (http://cf.umaryland.edu/umpolicies/usmpolicyInfo.cfm?polid=19&http=/umpolicies/usmum.cfm)
• Experience applying for and implementing grants and awards
• Experience working effectively outside of traditional library settings
• Experience searching and providing instruction in MedlinePlus and other consumer-oriented health resources
• Knowledge of best practices in health literacy
• Demonstrated ability to work well with culturally diverse communities
• Project management experience
Interested, qualified candidates should email cover letter; CV or resume; and three references including names, addresses, and phone numbers to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 410-706-3101. Visit our website at http://www.hshsl.umaryland.edu/ or call 410-706-6747 for more information. For best consideration submit applications by November 1, 2013. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
The University of Maryland is an AA/EOE/ADA Employer. The University supports diversity initiatives and encourages minorities to apply.
SALARY RANGE: $45,000 to $52,000 commensurate with experience
BENEFITS: Generous benefits include choice of retirement, medical, and dental plans; 22 days of annual leave; 15 days of sick leave; 3 personal days and 14 holidays. Regular employees, as well as their spouses and dependent children, may receive tuition remission for most programs within the University System of Maryland.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) campus is located in downtown Baltimore, blocks from Orioles Park at Camden Yards, Raven's Stadium, and the Inner Harbor, a recreational waterfront destination. Forty-five miles north of Washington DC, Baltimore City and the surrounding metropolitan area are noted for high quality-of-life indicators offering historic parks, great neighborhoods, and world-famous art collections, museums, theaters, and symphony orchestras. The city has easy access to public transportation systems, superior health care systems, and renowned university and educational resources.
The HS/HSL is the second largest health sciences library on the East Coast, providing access to over 374,000 bound volumes, 8,400 unique electronic and print periodicals, 96 databases and an array of progressive services, products and programs. Sixty-five FTEs and 25 faculty librarians staff the library. Our attractive facility, which opened in 1998, provides over 900 seats, 40 group study rooms, 130 individual study carrels, 60 public-access computers, wireless Internet access, 3 computer classrooms, a presentation and production studio, an art gallery, and multiple meeting spaces.
The Library supports the 6,300 students, and over 7,500 faculty and staff members on UMB's 60-acre research and technology complex consisting of 58 buildings including the University of Maryland BioPark, the University of Maryland Medical Center, and the VA Hospital. UMB's professional and graduate schools comprise a dental school, graduate school, and schools of law, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, public health and social work. More details about UMB can be found at http://www.umaryland.edu/
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum