Athletics Archivist/Libn. I @ U. of MD
Location: Anaheim Calif.
Online Status: Offline
Topic: Athletics Archivist/Libn. I @ U. of MD
Posted: 29/Oct/2013 at 6:51pm
Title: Athletics Archivist, Post-Master’s Program
Category: Librarian I, Faculty/Contractual
Department: Special Collections
Benefits: 22 Days Annual Leave, 15 Days of Sick Leave, 3 Days Personal Leave, 15 Paid Holidays
Tuition Remission, Health, Dental, Vision, and Prescription
As the largest university library system in the Washington D.C.-Baltimore area, the University of Maryland Libraries serve more than 37,500 students and 4,200 faculty of the flagship College Park campus. The University of Maryland Libraries share the teaching, learning and research goals of the university. Its role as a key academic resource is evident in its service to the academic community and its actionable strategic plan. Recent membership in the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, a robust organization of Big Ten member institutions, is particularly meaningful to the University Libraries and will further propel the university’s ascendancy in academic excellence.
Nature of Work:
The Athletics Archivist will respond to all information and assistance requests from the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and athletics-related requests from individuals and organizations outside the University of Maryland community. Within a team environment, supports building, maintaining, preserving, and publicizing of the athletics-related holdings of the University Archives and promoting knowledge of the history of University of Maryland athletics.
The Post-Master’s Program, a hiring initiative of the University of Maryland Libraries, matches recent post-master’s professionals with short-term positions aligned with the Libraries' strategic priorities. Both sides win. The post-graduate professional develops their skills in a professional workplace, and the University Libraries gain the expertise of recent graduates to respond to a rapidly changing environment. Post-Master’s Program professionals and the University Libraries each make a 2 year commitment to the position. Applicants must be willing to work on a one-year (renewable) contract basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serves as the liaison between the University Archives and the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, responding to information and assistance requests received from department staff. Responds to athletics-related requests from individuals and organizations both inside and outside the University of Maryland community, including faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
• Responds to time-sensitive and long-term reference inquiries about UM athletics received via telephone, e-mail, and regular mail, including assisting with special reference projects leading to the publication of books and articles that document the university’s athletic heritage.
• Facilitates transfers of records from the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, to ensure the preservation of Maryland’s athletic heritage.
• Serves as the lead contact for and acquires gifts of additional documents, photographs, audio and videotapes, film, digital files, and memorabilia from donors outside the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics chronicling all aspects of Maryland athletics
• In collaboration with the Access Functional Group, accessions, arranges and describes collections in the University Archives related to UM athletics
• Ensures the proper storage and preservation of all athletics-related materials held in the University Archives
• Broadens the knowledge of University of Maryland athletic history through analog and digital exhibits, special events, and other outreach activities.
• Collaborates with other UM Libraries’ staff to digitize UM athletics-related materials, as appropriate.
• Performs other athletics archives-related duties, as assigned.
Must be able to tolerate occasional dusty/dirty conditions. Must be able to tolerate the stresses engendered in a multi-faceted, rapidly growing archives program responsive to a broad user base.
Supervises students as necessary.
Must have thorough knowledge of archival theory and practice and familiarity with library and archival descriptive standards. Must be able to work effectively with others in a team setting. Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication skills and in assisting researchers in a special collections setting. Must be able to manage a broad variety of tasks in response to varying time pressures with shifting priorities and changing constraints. Evidence of a strong service orientation.
Required: Master’s degree in library science from a graduate program accredited by the American Library Association or subject expertise through the attainment of an advanced degree relevant to this position.
Preferred: Formal instruction in archival studies.
Required: Must have a minimum of six months experience working in an archival repository, including significant experience in responding to diverse and time-sensitive reference requests. Must have experience with archival materials relating to intercollegiate athletics.
Preferred: Prefer work experience and training in web development and social media applications, ability to work with a variety of software programs, and knowledge of or experience with digital preservation issues. Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to work collaboratively and to set and manage priorities.
For the full position description, please go to http://www.lib.umd.edu/hr/employment-opportunities/staff-faculty-positions.
APPLICATIONS: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu. No relocation assistance will be provided. You must be legally able to work in the United States; the University of Maryland Libraries will not sponsor individuals for employment. An application consists of a cover letter which includes the source of advertisement, a resume, and names/e-mail addresses of three references.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and accepted until November 25, 2013.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, or gender identity and expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum