Lib. Dean of CSU San Marcos
Location: Anaheim Calif.
Online Status: Offline
Topic: Lib. Dean of CSU San Marcos
Posted: 23/Dec/2013 at 6:09pm
California State University San Marcos seeks an exceptional, visionary and resourceful individual with the qualifications and experience to serve as its Dean of the Library. The Dean will provide leadership to further the role of the Library as an essential component of the University’s academic mission. As part of a comprehensive university the Dean will lead the Library in its support of the academic development of students into life-long learners, where students are active participants in the learning process. The Dean of the Library will work with the librarians to establish partnerships across the University and within the community, as they contribute as faculty to the contemporary learning environment in higher education. The Dean of the Library is responsible for leadership, team-building, strategic planning, and management within the Library, and fosters collaboration and the creation of knowledge within the University community. In addition, the Dean of the Library provides leadership in creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce, and a curriculum that develops students’ intercultural competence.
The Dean of the Library reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, and serves on the Academic Affairs Leadership Council, an advisory body to the Provost. The Dean leads a library faculty and staff of 40 and manages a budget of approximately $3.3 million. The Library Dean position is classified as Administrator IV in the California State University Management Personnel Plan (MPP) and serves at the pleasure of the President.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
• ALA accredited master’s degree or its equivalent plus five years of progressively responsible administrative work experience in University libraries which includes a minimum of one year leading and/or supervising the work of others; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong record of educational and scholarly achievement.
• Strong record of progressively responsible engagement in a professional association.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
• Work experience in public higher education.
• Knowledge of the California State University policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated commitment to and ability to advance the University’s goals in diversity and inclusive excellence, access, and educational equity in higher education.
The successful candidate must demonstrate leadership within and beyond the Library, have a record of identifying and solving problems creatively, and function effectively as part of a leadership team. In addition the Dean will:
• Demonstrate appreciation for the mission and vision of The California State University system and for the California State University San Marcos campus as comprehensive educational institutions;
• Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in higher education and in university libraries, including pedagogy of information literacy, scholarly communication, curriculum-driven collections, and the technology of teaching and learning;
• Demonstrate strong, successful leadership and team-building skills, with a proven ability to plan for and manage change;
• Have highly developed financial, strategic planning, and assessment skills, including the ability to evaluate and utilize data in planning and decision making;
• Have substantial experience in planning, budgeting, management, and evaluation of programs and personnel;
• Demonstrate a strong understanding of the instructional role librarians as faculty contribute to the contemporary learning environment in higher education;
• Support professional development for the Library faculty and staff, and the tenure and promotion processes for Librarians;
• Be a strong advocate for student success;
• Be able to work effectively with diverse populations and have a strong commitment to access in library programs; and
• Be able to build effective strategic alliances internally and externally.
A complete, detailed job description is available at: http://www.csusm.edu/about/employment.html
California State University San Marcos Overview
In 1989, California State University San Marcos was founded as the 20th campus in The California State University system, which now has 23 campuses. California State University San Marcos is a rapidly growing University with a current enrollment of over 11,300 students and is projected to continue to grow. The university is organized into four colleges (Business Administration; Education, Health and Human Services; Humanities, Art, Behavioral and Social Sciences; and, Science and Mathematics). Current academic degrees offered include: 28 bachelors of arts/sciences, 12 masters of arts/sciences/business administration, and 1 joint doctorate (Ed.D.).
Located in San Marcos, California, a city of 86,752 situated approximately 35 miles north of downtown San Diego, California State University San Marcos serves northern San Diego County and southern Riverside and Orange Counties, one of the fastest growing regions in Southern California. While convenient to the urban amenities of San Diego and Los Angeles, the campus enjoys a high quality of life enhanced by nearby ocean beaches, mountains and deserts, and a deservedly famous climate. Our student population reflects the rich ethnic and racial diversity of the region.
California State University San Marcos is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex, gender identity, gender expression or veteran's status. Review of applications will begin February 10, 2014. The position is open until filled. Appointment will be for July 2014, or as soon as possible thereafter. Salary placement will depend upon the candidate’s qualifications and depth of experience. The university offers an excellent benefits program, including participation in the CalPERS retirement program.
To ensure full consideration, candidates are asked to submit the following via email to email@example.com:
• a cover letter including
o response to each of the points in the position description and qualifications
o reasons for interest in the position and in California State University San Marcos
• a detailed resumé/curriculum vitae
• 3 references, including professional relationship, postal and e-mail address, and telephone number
The successful candidate will be offered this position contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reported under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. An offer of employment is contingent upon execution of an Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status and Legal Duty to Report Child Abuse and Neglect form. Signing the form is a prerequisite to employment and failure to sign will result in any offer of employment being withdrawn.
This position is a “designated position” in the California State University’ Conflict of Interest Code. The incumbent in this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
“Jeanne Clery Act and Campus First Safety Right-to-Know Law” Notification – See Police Department’s website located at: http://www.csusm.edut/policy/Clerfy.pdf
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum