Internet App. Sys. Spec. @ U. of Illinois
Location: Anaheim Calif.
Online Status: Offline
Topic: Internet App. Sys. Spec. @ U. of Illinois
Posted: 24/Jan/2014 at 6:21pm
Internet Applications Systems Specialist
University of Illinois Library at Urbana-Champaign
Position available immediately after closing. This is a 100%-time, twelve-month appointment Academic Professional position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks an enthusiastic, collaborative, and experienced professional to serve as the University Library’s Internet Applications Systems Specialist. The individual in this position will be a key contributor to the access and functionality of the University Library webpages and related internet applications This position contributes to strategic, technological, and policy decisions related to web management. This position requires the ability to exercise judgment, perform self-directed work, and provide guidance to other web team members.
Working under the direction of the Library Technical Architect for Web Content, the person in this position also provides the Library with the expertise and resources to work on enhancements and support of our Web Content Management Systems (CMS), including OpenCMS and Drupal.
Duties and Responsibilities of this position:
· creation and modification of server-side applications and code in multiple languages including JavaServer Pages (JSP) and PHP
· plan and implement efforts to define content management processes, optimize performance, and improve accessibility
· determines accurate and meaningful metrics to measure the performance of web sites by designing and implementing processes for analyzing web statistics, optimizing content for search engines, and improving content management workflows and other web-related functionality
· selection, implementation, and maintenance of web content management systems for the University Library
· planning and implementation of content transfer between disparate web content management systems
· ongoing assessment of Library needs related to web content management systems
· collaboration with all Library units to provide web-based support, including units with specialized CMS requirements
· collaboration on the development and support of enterprise web-based applications using devops, scrum and other agile methodologies with Library IT and other groups in the Library
· engagement with the campus and consortial IT community through participation in information technology events, web forums, and presentations, with an emphasis on collaborating with related campus and consortial IT units: AITS, CITES, CARLI, and the CIC.
The University of Illinois Library at Urbana-Champaign is one of the preeminent research libraries in the world. With more than 13 million volumes and significant digital resources, it ranks second in size among academic research libraries in the United States and first among public university libraries in the world. As the intellectual heart of the campus, the Library is committed to maintaining the strongest possible collections and services and engaging in research and development activities in pursuit of the University’s mission of teaching, scholarship, and public service. The Library currently employs approximately 90 faculty and 300 academic professionals, staff, and graduate assistants.
The Library consists of more than 30 departmental libraries located across campus, as well as an array of central public, technical, and administrative service units. The Library also encompasses a variety of virtual service points and "embedded librarian" programs. Working closely with librarians and staff throughout the University Library, the Office of Collections located in the Main Library provides support and a coordinating role for the development and management of Library collections, oversight over materials allocations, and access to resources throughout the University Library.
· A Bachelor’s Degree in an information technology field, or a Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years of experience in information technology
· Experience with internet applications and web server administration
· Experience with server side programming languages, such as PHP, JSP, or a Microsoft server-side scripting language (e.g. Classic ASP, .NET, C#)
· Proven ability to successfully plan and execute concurrent projects with varying time and resource commitments
· Demonstrable and significant experience administering a CMS in a production environment
· Demonstrated ability to work with new technologies and software
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Successful experience working in a collaborative environment
· Two or more years of experience with internet applications or web server administration (e.g. IIS, Apache, Tomcat)
· One or more years of experience working with an enterprise-level web Content Management System (Drupal, Wordpress, OpenCMS, ContentDM, DSpace)
· Experience in migrating content between web Content Management Systems
· Experience working with web analytics, including analysis of web server log files and tools that implement page tagging (e.g. Google Analytics, Piwik)
· Working knowledge of the concepts, practices, and strategies of information design, particularly in the areas of information architecture, accessibility, or application design
· Experience with efficiently creating and managing effective technical documentation
Salary and Rank:
Salary commensurate with credentials and experience.
Terms of Appointment: This is a 100% time position
Twelve-month appointment: Benefits contingent on % time worked and discussed at interview
Campus and Community:
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a comprehensive and major public land-grant university (Doctoral/Research University-Extensive) that is ranked among the best in the world. Chartered in 1867, it provides undergraduate and graduate education in more than 150 fields of study, conducts theoretical and applied research, and provides public service to the state and the nation. It employs 3,000 faculty members who serve 31,000 undergraduates and 12,000 graduate and professional students; approximately 25% of faculty receives campus-wide recognition each year for excellence in teaching. More information about the campus is available at www.illinois.edu. The University is located in the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana, which have a combined population of 100,000 and are situated about 140 miles south of Chicago, 120 miles west of Indianapolis, and 170 northeast of St. Louis. The University and its surrounding communities offer a cultural and recreational environment ideally suited to the work of a major research institution. For more information about the community, visit: http://illinois.edu/about/community/community.html or http://www.ccchamber.org/.
To ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of interest, resume, and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For questions, please call: 217-333-8169.
In order to ensure full consideration, applications and nominations must be received February 21, 2014. Interviews may occur before the closing date; however, no decisions will be made prior to the closing date.
Illinois is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
Library Human Resources
University of Illinois Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr. – Suite 127
Urbana, IL 61801
Office (217) 333-8168
Cell (217) 621-9149
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum