Digital Services Libn. @ UC Berkeley
Location: Anaheim Calif.
Online Status: Offline
Topic: Digital Services Libn. @ UC Berkeley
Posted: 26/Feb/2014 at 1:05am
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT, February 2014
University of California, Berkeley, The Library
Digital Services Librarian
Hiring range: Associate Librarian I - Associate Librarian III – Temporary Status
$53,116 - $59,119 per annum, based on qualifications
The position is a temporary, 3 year appointment commencing with date of hire. It is funded by the California Department of Public Health and subject to renewal if funding is available.
The University of California, Berkeley seeks a versatile, creative, and technology-savvy librarian with a background in a public health-related field to lead and maintain the Public Health Library's contract digital and web services. The librarian will also participate in providing public services and conducting public health-related literature searches.
The UC Berkeley Library is an internationally renowned research and teaching facility at one of the nation's premier public universities. In a highly diverse and intellectually rich environment, Berkeley serves a campus community of 25,500 undergraduate students, 10,300 graduate students, and a faculty of 1,500. The UC Berkeley Library is a leader in the investigation and implementation of advanced digital library services. Areas of current work include scalable digital library system architectures, developing efficient methods for creating digital library content, the long-term preservation of digital materials, and standards for digital objects, digitization, and archival collection descriptions. The Web Publishing Group (WPG) supports digital library activities by providing managerial and technical analysis, writing programs to create digital content, writing, enhancing, and maintaining tools to publish, create, and manage digital objects, and training staff for projects that add content to our digital library. The Library Applications & Publishing Group (LAP) provides technical support for the Library, including developing, purchasing and/or supporting all types of hardware platforms and software applications. LAP has primary responsibility for supporting and building UC Berkeley Library’s Integrated Library System (ILS), Digital Library, and web presence.
The Sheldon Margen Public Health Library is a subject specialty library of The Library of the University of California, Berkeley. It serves the campus community, particularly the faculty, staff, and students of the School of Public Health, as well as the staff of the California Department of Public Health and two agencies of California Environmental Protection Agency which are provided library services by contract arrangement with the University. It also serves the general public. Contract services are provided via a website and web portal. The library has a collection of approximately 107,000 volumes and receives 300 print serial titles. More information about the library is available at: http://www.lib.berkeley/edu/PUBL/.
Under the general direction of the Head of the Public Health Library and the Head of Library Applications and Publishing, the Digital Services Librarian will be responsible for managing the Public Health Library's enterprise IT services (40%) and engaging in instructional design and outreach to the Public Health community (60%). The management of IT services includes oversight of content and design, as well as close collaboration with University Library IT to ensure that the web services are in compliance with security, service continuity and service quality standards. The position will also serve a digital instruction role, creating and maintaining web content including digital learning objects and engaging in outreach efforts with Public Health patrons and communities. The position is also responsible for monitoring best practices and trends in emerging technologies and will proactively research, recommend, and develop/adapt/implement technologically innovative services to match user needs. With the Public Health Library's other academic staff, the librarian will share in the responsibility for providing reference service, conducting instruction sessions, and performing public health-related literature searches for contract state agency health professionals. In addition, the librarian will assist in the Document Delivery unit and help with providing library services to other clientele.
UC Berkeley librarians are expected to participate in library-wide planning and governance, to work effectively in a shared decision-making environment, and to be active professionally. Professional contributions beyond the primary responsibilities are required for advancement in the Librarian series. The successful candidate will show promise or evidence of such contributions.
• MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited library school at time of application
• Subject expertise or library experience in a public health-related field
• Experience working in interactive digital learning environments and with collaborative tools such as Adobe Connect, WebEx, GoToMeeting, ReadyTalk
• Demonstrated experience providing instructional and reference services including the creation of online tutorials, surveys, or guides
• Demonstrated ability to learn new technology tools/skills
• Demonstrated understanding of instructional design concepts, especially in an online environment
• Sound understanding of web accessibility issues and familiarity with accessibility standards and validation tools
• Strong commitment to excellence in public service and improving the user experience
• Evidence of professional initiative, flexibility, and problem-solving skills
• Outstanding communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with a diverse population of faculty/staff, students, and colleagues
• Experience using Inmagic DB/TextWorks or Web Publisher Pro
• Experience with e-learning management systems such as Canvas, Sakai, Moodle
• Experience with integrating new technologies into the delivery of information service
• Understanding of traditional PC/Mac and Mobile operating systems including Windows, Macintosh, iOS and Android platforms
• Understanding of the role of client and enterprise information technology in the design and delivery of digital information service
• A demonstrated skillset that includes digital content creation and management tools
• Experience managing information technology services in an academic setting
• Familiarity with the standards and best-practices in IT security, service management and continuity planning
The Library at the University of California, Berkeley is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make positive contributions in a context of ethnic and cultural diversity.
Professional librarians at UC are academic appointees and are represented by an exclusive bargaining agent, University Council - American Federation of Teachers (UC-AFT). This position is in the bargaining unit. Librarians are entitled to appropriate professional leave, two days per month of vacation leave, one day per month of sick leave, and all other benefits granted to non-faculty academic personnel. The University has an excellent retirement system and sponsors a variety of group health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans in addition to other benefits.
DEADLINE: Consideration will be given to applications received by March 17, 2014.
Submit applications online at https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF00357. Applications must include a cover letter detailing a statement of qualifications, curriculum vitae noting degrees and relevant work experience, and the names and contact information of three references who are knowledgeable about the applicant's qualifications for this position.
Send inquiries to:
Susan E. Wong
Director, Library Human Resources
Library Human Resources Department
110 Doe Library
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Phone: (510) 642-3778
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum