Job Opportunity with San Mateo County Library, CA
New Members Group
Online Status: Offline
Topic: Job Opportunity with San Mateo County Library, CA
Posted: 21/Mar/2014 at 5:13pm
For more information, please see:
Community Services Librarian I/II - Bilingual Skills Required
(Open and Promotional)
$4,559 - $6,214 /Month
FINAL DATE FOR FILING: March 27, 2014.
The San Mateo County Library System invites applications for the position of Community
Services Librarian I/II - Spanish/English Bilingual Skills Required.
There is currently one full-time vacancy at the East Palo Alto Library. Because of the
diversity of the communities we serve, bilingual skills are required for these positions.
Specifically, we seek applicants with the ability to read, write and speak fluently in both
English and Spanish.
The San Mateo County Library offers the best in library experiences to our communities
stretching from Silicon Valley to the beaches of Pacifica. Community Services Librarians and
Community Program Specialists work in a variety of settings both inside and outside libraries,
serving, adults, teens and children. We seek enthusiastic, innovative and flexible individuals
who proactively search for opportunities to make public library services relevant to all
members of the community. Successful candidates will be excited about new challenges,
eager to learn, and energized by working with people from a variety of backgrounds.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
• Provide excellent customer service to patrons of any age in a busy public library.
• Visualize, adapt, and deliver non-traditional and innovative library services that benefit
the needs of the community and capture the best of ever-evolving technologies.
• Establish cooperative working relationships with community members, various
community services providers, and with the library staff and library users.
• Plan, schedule, coordinate and carry out programming to patrons of all age groups at
events such as school visits, special events, story times, public speaking and other
outreach activities to community groups and agencies.
• Engage patrons in valuing early learning and in building early literacy skills.
• Use technology as a tool, staying on top of new technology trends.
• Work in a collaborative teamwork setting and inspire fun in the workplace.
• Take initiative and work independently and with others.
• Assist in the recruitment, training and management of volunteers.
• Be comfortable assisting patrons with circulation activities.
• Provide operational support in resolving patron complaints and in troubleshooting
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
NOTE: The hiring list created from this recruitment will be used to fill the current
vacancy/vacancies and could be used to fill future full-time, part-time and extra-help
positions. If you are interested in employment in the classification of Community Services
Librarian I/II you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the eligible hiring list created by this recruitment.
Community Services Librarian I = $54,704.00 - $68,390.00 annually
Community Services Librarian II = $59,654.00 - $74,568.00 annually
SAN MATEO COUNTY LIBRARY
The San Mateo County Library is a Joint Powers Authority comprised of the cities of Atherton,
Belmont, Brisbane, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Millbrae, Pacifica, Portola
Valley, San Carlos, Woodside and the unincorporated areas of San Mateo County. SMCL is a
high performing organization. Named a four star library by Library Journal for the sixth
consecutive year, SMCL ranked 2nd in California among similar peer libraries. SMCL is
committed to providing quality public service. To achieve this we value diversity among staff
and encourage each employee to take personal responsibility and make individual
contributions. In addition to a broad range of digital content and services the Library includes
twelve community libraries, bookmobile service and a literacy program. Serving a population
of 270,000 residents, SMCL circulated over 3.7 million items to 2.2 million visitors last
year. For more information about San Mateo County Library, please visit www.smcl.org.
Experience: Candidates must have the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the roles
identified in the description of the positions.
Education: Master of Library Science or recognized equivalent degree, from an American
Library Association accredited college or university.
Language Skills Requirement: Bilingual language skills, specifically Spanish/English are
• Library purposes, organization, techniques and procedures
• Principles of library materials selection
• In-depth reference and bibliographic resources
• Library classification, cataloging and filing systems
• Current general and/or children's literature
• A specialized program area
• Supervisory principles and practices
• Composition of the community and its needs
• General practices and uses of computers and computer information systems
• Automated library functions
• Peninsula Library System and related policies and procedures
• Plan and supervise the work of staff
• Train staff in specialized areas
• Develop library programs/projects
• Establish and maintain cooperative relations with staff, the public and community
• Communicating effectively orally and in writing • Instruct others in the use of library materials
• Conduct individual user needs assessments
Anyone may apply. Current San Mateo County and The Superior Court of California, San
Mateo County employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a
regular, probationary, or extra-help classified position prior to the final filing date will receive
five points added to their final passing score on this examination.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular
employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required
employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination will consist of an interview (weight: 100%), which may include the
evaluation of a brief written exercise given immediately preceding the interview. Depending
on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be
used in place of other examinations or a screening committee may select those applicants
whose education and/or experience appear to best meet the needs of the position. All
examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at
their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are
currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply' button above. If you are not on
the County's website, please go to www.jobs.smcgov.org.
Deadline for Applications: March 27, 2014 at 11:59 p.m.
Application Screening (Tentative): April 2, 2014
Panel Interview (Tentative): April 14, 2014
San Mateo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Analyst: Chet Overstreet (032114) (Librarian I/II – K001/K002 - Bilingual Skills Required)
Keywords: librarian, library, community services, program, Spanish speaking, Chinese speaking, bilingual,
Job Number: K002-10 Community Services Librarian I/II - Bilingual Skills Required (Open and Promotional)
* 1. NOTE: Applicants for this position are required to submit responses to the supplemental
questions below. Your responses will give us additional information about your background
and experience related to this position and will be used in the selection process. Be
concise, yet thorough, and specific. Neatness, clarity of expression and the ability to follow
instructions will be considered in the evaluation process. A resume will not be accepted
as a substitute for your responses.
Check this box to indicate you have read and understand this information and to
proceed to the supplemental questions.
* 2. A Master's degree in Library Science, or a recognized equivalent degree, from an American
Library Association accredited college or university is required for the Community Services
Librarian position. Do you have a Master's degree in Library Science? If you have a
recognized equivalent degree, please explain.
* 3. Please describe your work experience in which you utilized your bilingual skills. Be sure to
include your position, the type of work, how you utilized your language skills and the
approximate percentage of time you utilized your English language skills and the
percentage of time you utilized your Spanish language skills.
* 4. Describe your experience working with children and youth. Be specific about your duties
and responsibilities and where the experience was gained. Also describe the most
innovative program or service you've developed for this age group, specifically to
encourage children and youth to read and/or use the library.
* 5. Describe a team or group project you worked on and explain your role and responsibilities
on the team. What was the end product of the project, how was it evaluated and what did
you learn from the experience?
* 6. Describe your experience establishing community networks and collaborations, and
working in communities with diverse racial, ethnic and economic populations.
* 7. San Mateo County departments sometimes need extra-help workers in addition to
permanent employees. Extra-help positions offer temporary employment for 1040 hours
which is equivalent to about six months, however, employment might end sooner
depending on the needs of the hiring departments. Extra-help positions are paid on an
hourly rate basis and do not provide employee benefits. Extra-help workers are not
guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment. Are you interested
in extra-help employment? (A "No" answer to this question will not affect your application
for permanent employment.)
* Required Question
San Mateo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum