Elect.Resources & Acq. Support Spec. @ U. of IL
Location: Anaheim Calif.
Online Status: Offline
Topic: Elect.Resources & Acq. Support Spec. @ U. of IL
Posted: 04/Apr/2014 at 6:45pm
Electronic Resources and Acquisitions Support Specialist
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library
Position Available: The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. This is a 100%, twelve-month, academic professional position.
Responsibilities: The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks an innovative and knowledgeable professional to support the technical infrastructure needs for electronic resources and acquisitions functions at the University Library. This is an Academic Professional position for a librarian who possesses the requisite skills, experience, and/or demonstrated knowledge from course work. The Support Specialist will work in the Acquisitions unit within the Technical Services Division of the Library. The successful candidate will work in a team environment with those division faculty and staff responsible for the management of electronic resources and acquisitions work, as well as with IT staff in providing technical support for the Library’s OpenURL link resolver, which is currently SFX. The work will include support for the tools, as well as the daily processes, to load, convert, and update resources or records to support the access and assessment of electronic resources, and for the Acquisitions unit’s record management needs. The position will assist in the maintenance of SFX, in troubleshooting access problems, and will also assist in managing the reports and documentation necessary to support electronic resources and acquisitions work. This position reports to the Head of Acquisitions.
Specific duties include:
· Assists in the management of the Library's electronic resources and continuing resources collection, including ordering, licensing, access, setting up trials, and troubleshooting of electronic resources for library patrons.
· Performs updates as needed in SFX and assists in maintaining access to all ongoing and all newly added electronic resources as directed by the Electronic Resources Librarian or Head of Acquisitions.
· Updates and maintains EZproxy remote access configurations.
· Develops expertise with emerging technologies and maintains awareness and engagement with trends and developments in electronic resources acquisitions and management.
· Assists in communication and establishes professional relationships with external service providers, including publishers, vendors, consortia, content providers, and technology suppliers, and collaborates internally with library staff in other departments and with bibliographers to provide optimal access to the Library's electronic resource collection.
· Assists in supporting the tools required for acquisitions and electronic resources work, including SFX version and knowledge-base updates,, use of the Acquisitions and Cataloging modules of the Library’s integrated library system (Voyager), and use of MarcEdit, OCLC Connexion, and other cataloging tools
· Supports the technical infrastructure needs in Acquisitions by working across vendor platforms to import and export records to and from the integrated library system (ILS), including all EDI work.
· Creates reports and extracts management data from library software as needed; assists colleagues in designing and running reports for their own needs; provides statistical reports as requested.
· Works collaboratively with other Library staff and faculty in a variety of units engaged in both public service and technical service activities to develop tools and workflows for improving access to the Library’s collections. That work also includes the maintenance of documentation for acquisitions and electronic resources workflow, policies and procedures.
· ALA-accredited master’s degree in library or information science.
· A minimum of two years of library work experience and significant familiarity with library applications and procedures for electronic resource management, OpenURL link resolvers, and integrated library systems modules used in technical services.
· Demonstrated understanding of continuing resources, including awareness of issues from the perspective of vendors, publishers, and aggregators and that relate to platforms and licensing.
· Ability to communicate and work well with colleagues across units and ability to understand variant perspectives on shared work.
· Strong interpersonal, analytical, oral and written communication skills, and customer service skills.
· Experience with Microsoft Office applications.
· Knowledge of relational database design principles and database technologies (MSSQL,
· MySQL, Oracle, and/or Microsoft Access).
· Familiarity with authentication/credential systems such as Shibboleth, Active Directory,
· and/or Kerberos.
· Working knowledge of technical environments, especially those related to EZproxy and
· link resolvers. Some familiarity with electronic resource standards and protocols such as
· ONIX, SUSHI, COUNTER, SERU.
· Familiarity with OCLC Connexion, MarcEdit, and an understanding of cataloging standards and
· MARC format.
Salary and Rank: Salary commensurate with credentials and experience.
Terms of Appointment: Twelve-month appointment; 24 annual vacation days; 11 annual paid holidays; 12 annual sick-leave days (cumulative), plus an additional 13 sick-leave days (non-cumulative) available, if needed, each year; health insurance requiring a small co-payment is provided to employee (with the option to purchase coverage for spouse and dependents); required participation in State Universities Retirement System (SURS) (8% of annual salary is withheld and is refundable upon termination), with several options for participation in additional retirement plans; newly-hired employees are covered by the Medicare portion of Social Security and are subject to its deduction.
Campus and Community: The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a comprehensive and major public land-grant university (Doctoral/Research University-Extensive) that is ranked among the best in the world. Chartered in 1867, it provides undergraduate and graduate education in more than 150 fields of study, conducts theoretical and applied research, and provides public service to the state and the nation. It employs 3,000 faculty members who serve 31,000 undergraduates and 12,000 graduate and professional students; approximately 25% of faculty receives campus-wide recognition each year for excellence in teaching. More information about the campus is available at www.illinois.edu.
The University is located in the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana, which have a combined population of 100,000 and are situated about 140 miles south of Chicago, 120 miles west of Indianapolis, and 170 northeast of St. Louis. The University and its surrounding communities offer a cultural and recreational environment ideally suited to the work of a major research institution. For more information about the community, visit: <http://illinois.edu/about/community/community.html> or <http://www.ccchamber.org/>.
To Apply: To ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of interest, resume, and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For questions, please call: 217-333-8169.
Deadline: In order to ensure full consideration we urge candidates to submit application materials on or before
Illinois is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
Library Human Resources
University of Illinois Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr. – Suite 127
Urbana, IL 61801
Office (217) 333-8168
Cell (217) 621-9149
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum