Head, Special Collections & Archives, Marquette Un
New Members Group
Online Status: Offline
Topic: Head, Special Collections & Archives, Marquette Un
Posted: 03/Apr/2012 at 12:58pm
Alberto Herrera Jr.
Diversity Services/Reference Librarian
Collection Development Librarian for Political Science & International Relations
Research & Instructional Services
Raynor Memorial Libraries
1355 W. Wisconsin Avenue
P.O. Box 3141
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201-3141
Tel.: (414) 288-2140
FAX: (414) 288-8821
Marquette University Raynor Memorial Libraries seek a creative, dynamic and service-oriented professional for the position of Head of Special Collections and Archives. Reporting to the Dean of Libraries, this senior leadership position will provide administrative oversight, leadership, vision, and strategic direction for all aspects of departmental operations, services, programs, and resources.
• Promotes growth and development of special collections and university archives, in keeping with the mission and goals of Marquette University and Raynor Memorial Libraries.
• Establishes priorities and strategic directions for the acquisition, management, digitization and preservation of special collections and archives.
• In consultation with Libraries faculty and staff and the Libraries’ user community, enhances and promotes research opportunities to students, scholars and other researchers.
• Recruits, hires, trains, coordinates, and directs the work of departmental staff, including four professionals, one paraprofessional staff and part-time student assistants.
• Fosters a collegial work environment
• Cultivates and promotes interdepartmental communication within the Libraries and across campus.
• Develops policies and procedures to ensure full stewardship of the collections.
• Ensures discoverability of the collections through development of inventories, finding aids, catalog records and other descriptive means.
• Provides reference and instructional services to teach and promote the effective use of special collections and archives.
• Develops external funding sources and donor relationships.
• Develops methods to assess the effectiveness of the department’s collections, services and programs.
• Serves as a member of the Libraries Leadership Council; collaborates with colleagues in library-wide planning, budgeting and policy development.
• Engages in professional development through scholarly research, publication, presentations and service in national professional associations or societies.
• ALA-accredited master’s degree or ACA archival certification with relevant advanced degree
• Knowledge and understanding of significant trends and issues in special collections and archival preservation, including archival theory, conservation principles and techniques, standards and best practices.
• Evidence of progressively increasing leadership and management experience.
• Demonstrated commitment to providing outstanding user services.
• Experience working collaboratively to plan and implement programs and services.
• Demonstrated experience in effective project management.
• Familiarity with digital collection initiatives.
• A successful record of fundraising experience, including donor cultivation.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Record of scholarly engagement demonstrated through active scholarship and/or professional service.
• Strong bibliographical and/or rare books training or experience
• Experience supervising professionals in an academic library environment
• Experience in preparation of grant proposals and other external funding
• Knowledge of copyright, intellectual property, rights management and other information policy issues as they relate to special collections and archives.
Marquette University is an independent, Catholic, Jesuit doctoral-granting institution with an enrollment of 12,000 located near downtown Milwaukee. Two adjacent and connected library buildings seat 2,150 and house a 1.7 million volume collection, 500 networked resources, and over 22,000 electronic journals. http://www.marquette.edu/library/
For full consideration, submit application online by May 11, 2012 to the University’s application site: https://careers.marquette.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum