Gov Docs Registry Analyst, Univ of Michigan
New Members Group
Online Status: Offline
Topic: Gov Docs Registry Analyst, Univ of Michigan
Posted: 14/Sep/2012 at 5:53pm
Interested individuals are invited to email a cover letter and CV as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions may be directed there also or to 734 764-2546. Thank you so much for assisting with our recruiting efforts!
GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS REGISTRY ANALYST
LIBRARY SYSTEMS OFFICE
(Two Year Term-Limited Appointment)
HathiTrust, a collaboration of major research institutions and libraries working to ensure that the cultural record is preserved and accessible long into the future, is undertaking a project to develop a Registry of US Federal Government Documents in preparation for future work that will expand coverage and enhance access to those documents. We are currently seeking an experienced individual to take the lead on analysis and collection of government documents metadata as well as planning for registry functionality. The incumbent will report to the Head of the University of Michigan Library Systems Office and will ideally live in or relocate to the Ann Arbor, Michigan area. This is a two year, term-limited position.
Working closely and collaboratively with government documents experts from HathiTrust partner institutions and the U.S. federal government documents community, staff involved with current repositories of government documents metadata, HathiTrust and University of Michigan staff involved in development of HathiTrust infrastructure and systems, and others, the government documents registry analyst will:
· Identify and analyze current repositories/sources of government documents metadata (e.g., WorldCat, regional depository libraries, etc.) with regard to scope, metadata format(s) represented, completeness of metadata, known gaps in coverage, etc.
· Analyze and specify functional requirements for a registry that can capture, store, and provide access to metadata representing the full corpus of U.S. Federal government documents, including their interrelationships and their relationships to external data and systems.
· Develop procedures to identify gaps in metadata coverage and propose/specify processes/functions to acquire and/or create additional metadata to fill those gaps.
· Analyze and specify requirements for processes/functions to support ongoing maintenance and enhancement of content and linkages in metadata.
· Survey existing registry software applications for match to requirements, functional enhancements needed to meet requirements, etc. and recommend option(s) to pursue.
· Analyze, specify and implement initial metadata capture/collection procedures, including any transformations/migrations needed to prepare collected metadata for inclusion in the registry.
· Work with developer(s) on implementation and testing of the registry.
· Supervise hourly or other part-time staff in possible manual remediation of records.
· Other duties as assigned.
· An ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library or Information Science; or an equivalent combination of a relevant advanced degree and experience.
· Demonstrated experience working with files of bibliographic metadata records in MARC binary and/or MARCXML format. Experience with other metadata formats (Dublin Core, MODS, etc.) is a plus.
· Demonstrated ability to analyze project requirements and develop strategies for metadata capture, normalization, transformation, and enhancement.
· Ability to coordinate multiple parts of a complex project, working collaboratively with a variety of contributors and stakeholders.
· Ability to learn quickly and to apply knowledge to real situations.
· Ability to establish measurable goals and objectives and to implement strategies to achieve them.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a multicultural/collaborative environment.
· Demonstrated analytical skills, aptitude for details, and ability to solve problems creatively and diplomatically.
· Demonstrated good English oral and written communication skills.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and within a team setting.
· Knowledge/experience of US Federal Government documents and the metadata that describe them is highly desirable.
· Demonstrated experience in automating and streamlining metadata creation, analysis, enhancement, and management, using a variety of tools for metadata manipulation and scripting.
· Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, and implement projects
· Programming experience, (ruby and/or perl preferred)
· Experience working in a large academic library and/or large, complex non-profit organization.
· Experience working with a data registry.
BENEFITS, RANK, and SALARY
It is anticipated that the position will be filled at the Associate Librarian or Senior Associate Librarian level; final rank and salary are dependent on experience and qualifications. Librarians receive 24 days of vacation a year, 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel.
Further information regarding benefits can be found at http://benefits.umich.edu/benefitgroups/faculty.html.
RETIREMENT OPTIONS: TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments options available.
Email a cover letter and CV as attachments to email@example.com, addressed to:
Head of Library Human Resources
3026 Shapiro Undergraduate Library
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-118
For further information, call 734-764-2546 between 8:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M., Monday-Friday.
Review of applications will begin 10/31/12 and continue until the position is filled.
The University of Michigan is a non-discriminatory, affirmative action employer.
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum