Programmer I at Kansas State Univ.
Location: Anaheim Calif.
Online Status: Offline
Topic: Programmer I at Kansas State Univ.
Posted: 12/Oct/2012 at 4:55pm
Kansas State University Libraries, Manhattan, Kansas invite applications and nominations for the position of Programmer I to join an exciting new team in the Administrative & IT Services Department. The new team would be collaborating with other library staff in creating value added services by using a wide array of tools that include both open source (dspace, drupal, etc) and vendor driven products. As a team, the members will explore exciting opportunities to enhance existing services in the areas of repository development, scholarly publishing, web development and content management systems. To support the University’s goal of becoming a top-50 public research university by 2025, we are looking for a dynamic individual to offer exceptional customer service to library staff and patrons and advance with us to the next level.
Kansas State University Libraries in Manhattan, Kansas are an ambitious organization that aims to be an innovator in library services. Our people are the most important asset in the pursuit of achieving our goals. Therefore, we actively recruit talented individuals with diverse skill sets, backgrounds, and ways of thinking. We seek strong communicators who relish productive collaborations with friendly colleagues. As our organization strongly believes in innovation, we especially value creative problem-solvers who thrive in an environment of change and have the ability to inspire others, and that have a strong interest in emerging technologies. The Libraries have a vision to grow, and we are very supportive of our staff’s professional development. In addition to five specialized branch libraries, Hale Library, the main library, is a splendid building located in the center of the university’s picturesque campus, with a spacious interior that creates a comfortable and relaxing work environment. If this sounds like a place that suits your personality and work style, and if you are someone who would like to be an active part of a library’s exciting growth, please consider applying for the following position.
• Perform technical planning, development, and implementation of Web-based applications and interfaces, including mobile applications, to provide a seamless access environment to end users.
• Work collaboratively with technical and non-technical library staff to provide general web development guidance and expertise, and to implement enhancements to the Libraries website and electronic resources discovery and access systems.
• Support the ongoing development of the Libraries software infrastructure, including, but not limited to, institutional repositories (DSpace, and others), content management systems, web applications, and other library systems.
• Collaborate with other technology partners.
• Work with teams to manage system administration, web/application server administration and database server administration, maintaining up-to-date system documentation and managing code in a version-control system.
• Investigate new technologies and software applications.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field. Three years of experience developing web-based applications may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
• Demonstrated proficiency:
o developing web applications using one or more of the following programming languages: PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, and
o working with relational databases such as MySQL or Postgresql.
• Strong customer service attitude; enthusiasm for working in a collaborative team-oriented environment
• Demonstrated experience working with any of the following:
o a Content Management System such as Drupal, Joomla, or WordPress
o repository applications (e.g., DSpace, Fedora, ContentDM)
o team-based development using version control systems such as Git or Subversion
• Knowledge of any of the following:
o LDAP, Shibboleth or other common methods of authentication
o Semantic Web and Linked Data concepts and technologies
o Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
o Knowledge of user-centered design, usability testing and web standards, including accessibility standards
• Formal coursework in, or experience with, user information-seeking behaviors in an academic environment, including creating and adapting web-based tools such as wikis, blogs, etc.
Affectionately nicknamed, “The Little Apple”, Manhattan, Kansas is an up-and-coming community located in the charming Flint Hills region of Kansas, which consists of continuous rolling hills covered in tall grasses. It was named "One of the Best Places to Live / Top 25 Best Commuting Times" by Money Magazine and one of the "50 Best Places to Live" by Men's Journal. Forbes Magazine rated Manhattan #1 for "Best Small Communities for a Business and Career." Manhattan is one of the true classic college towns in the country. It is a great place to enjoy Big XII sports, wonderful restaurants, superb outdoor recreation, and ever-growing shopping choices. Manhattan, with a highly regarded public school system, is widely considered to be a fantastic place to raise a family. Manhattan High School is rated in top 5% of high schools in the U.S. by Newsweek magazine. Overall, Manhattan has big city advantages, while still being a 15 minute town. It is situated just off Interstate 70, less than two hours west of Kansas City. The regional airport offers multiple daily direct flights to Dallas and Chicago. While the main campus is located in Manhattan, Kansas State also has campuses located in Salina and Olathe.
Salary: The Libraries aim to attract outstanding talents, and we offer competitive salary in recognition of responsibilities and experience. Information about our benefits package can be found on the K-State Benefits summary:
1. A letter of application. To greatly strengthen your application, please apply your communication skills to clearly address the position responsibilities and qualifications listed above, and demonstrate how your work style, vision, and other distinctive qualities would enhance our organization.
2. A curriculum vitae
3. Names and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com, attention Kim Piper. Please include PROG. I in the subject line. Deadline for applying is November 2, 2012.
Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees and is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Background check required.
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum