1. Provides a forum for the exchange of ideas and information relevant to the effective delivery of library services to Spanish speaking children in the United States.
2. Addresses specific issues relevant to the effective delivery of library services such as the use of traditional measures which may result in inequitable and discriminatory allocation of resources, collection development policies which incorporate relevant criteria to the needs of Spanish speaking families, and the lack of Spanish speaking children’s librarians and managers.
3. Serves as the liaison to the Association of Library Services to Children (ALSC), specifically in issues that are related to the Pura Belpre award. From January to June of each year, plans, organizes, and coordinates the Celebration for the Pura Belpre Award Ceremony.
4. Explores and encourages cooperative programming and sponsorship with ALSC and other organization within ALA charged with providing services to Latino/a youth.
5. Establishes and publishes “Guidelines for Spanish Language Collection Development for Children.”
6. Explore alliances and partnerships with other youth-serving organizations, such as the National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE), the California Association for Bilingual Education (CABE), National Council of La Raza (NCLR), and the Children’s Defense Fund.
Noche de Cuentos
María Estrella, Chair
Lucia Gonzalez, Noche de Cuentos Coordinator
Oralia Garza de Cortes, Pura Belpré Award Coordinator
Ana-Elba Pavon, Pura Belpré 25th Anniversary Celebration
Jenny Lizarraga, Pura Belpré 25th Anniversary Celebration