Investigate and recommend ways that Library and Information Science (LIS) schools can train, educate, and prepare LIS students and alumni to better understand, evaluate, assess, implement, and advocate for services, collections, and programming needs of Latinx and Spanish speaking communities. Activities of the committee may include:
Goals and Objectives:
- Develop and publish bilingual information resources about the activities and opportunities that REFORMA has for LIS students and alumni.
- Propose basic competencies to the Library and Information Science schools so that their students are competent in carrying out a needs assessment that focuses on the design and implementation of culturally and linguistically appropriate services for Latinx and Spanish-speaking communities.
- Working with student chapters/associations and other ALA committees to help promote the need for culturally and linguistically appropriate services for Latinx and Spanish speaking communities.
- Propose and promote student research aimed at strengthening and improving the programs, services and information resources that are provided to the communities of Latinx and Spanish speakers.
- Goal 1: Establish a REFORMA Education committee presence on the website
- Goal 2: REFORMA Education committee will liaise between the LIS programs, REFORMA National, REFORMA Chapters, the ALA Committee on Education, and other organizations.
- Goal 3: Help LIS programs integrate and connect with their REFORMA Chapter(s)
- Goal 4: Share the number of Latinx US/Canada students in LIS Schools based upon ALISE Statistical Report. Determine other sources for statistics and share these numbers annually.
Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran, Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
Denise Adkins, email@example.com
Kathy DeWeese, firstname.lastname@example.org
Monica Lopez, email@example.com
Alicia Martinez, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Ana Ndumu, email@example.com
Elizabeth Borges Ocasio, firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer applications for REFORMA national committees are accepted from February 1 - April 15 for service the following committee term, which begins July. Vist http://www.reforma.org/volunteer
for more information and a link to the volunteer form.