Congratulations! REFORMA Día Mini-Grants Winners 2022
We’re excited to announce the winners of the 2022 REFORMA Día Mini-Grants. The winners were selected based on the creativity of the program, level of community involvement, and impact of the project as it best highlights Latinx authors, performers, and culture.
Each organization will receive $300 to support a virtual or in-person Día program that celebrates Latino culture.
- Albany Public Library / LaRee Dominguez - Albany, OR
- Chicago Heights Public Library / Joelle Wake - Chicago Heights, IL
- Roseland Regional Library, Sonoma County Library / Monica Samantha Hernandez - Santa Rosa, CA
- Takoma Park Maryland Library / Verónica Rivera-Negrón - Takoma Park, MD
- REFORMA de Nuevo Mexico / Flo Trujillo - Las Cruces, MX
REFORMA thanks the 2022 Día Mini-Grants Selection Committee:
- Anna Avalos, Senior Librarian, Multilingual Collections, Los Angeles Public Library
- Maria F. Estrella, Chair of REFORMA’s Children’s and Young Adult Services Committee (CAYASC), Cleveland Public Library
- Ann Crewdson, Children’s Specialist, King County Library System, Issaquah/Riverview Region
- Vitalina Nova, Education Librarian, Charles Library, Temple University
The Mini-Grants Program coordinator is Madeline Peña, Principal Librarian for Community Engagement and Outreach, Los Angeles Public Library; REFORMA President 2018-19; REFORMA Technology Committee Co-Chair.
We thank everyone who applied for our Día Mini-Grant Program. We received 23 eligible submissions.
REFORMA is committed to supporting programming for Latino and Spanish-speaking communities through our Mini-Grants Programs. If you'd like to support future Mini-Grants, consider making a donation to REFORMA at reforma.org/donate.\
¡Felicidades a los ganadores!
El día de los niños/El día de los libros (Children's Day/Book Day), commonly known as Día
, is a celebration every day of children, families, and reading that culminates yearly on April 30. The celebration emphasizes the importance of literacy for children of all linguistic and cultural backgrounds. REFORMA is proud to be a founding partner
REFORMA will award up to 5 mini-grants of $300 to support a Día program that celebrates Latino culture.
The Los Angeles Chapter is sponsoring an additional Día mini-grant of $300.
- Public libraries, academic libraries, school libraries, and community organizations in the United States including Puerto Rico are eligible to apply.
- The library or the person submitting the application must be a current member of REFORMA.
- Funds will be provided to pay for hired author/performer, and to support other related expenses such as books, publicity, materials, decorations, and refreshments - as specified in your proposal.
- The program must celebrate Latino culture.
- The program must take place in the month of April 2022. Virtual or in-person.
- Winners must agree that publicity for their event will identify REFORMA as sponsor/partial sponsor.
- Winners must be willing to have their program featured on the REFORMA website, listserv, social media accounts, and Newsletter both in written and photographic detail. Winners must submit a final report by May 31, 2022.
- Winners must add their programs to the National Día Program Registry.
- The application must be received by 11:59 PM (PST) on February 18, 2022.
Additional Eligibility Criteria for the Los Angeles Chapter Mini-Grant
- The library or the person submitting the application must be a current member of the Los Angeles Chapter.
- The library/community organization must be within Los Angeles County in California.
- The winner must agree that publicity of their event will identify REFORMA Los Angeles Chapter as the sponsor/partial sponsor.
The selection criteria will be based on:
- Creativity of the program
- How well it celebrates Latino culture, literature, and oral traditions
- Publicity plan and community involvement
Winners must submit a final report by May 31, 2022, to include:
- Photos of the event to post on the website/newsletter
- Number of participants
- Ages of participants
- List and description of activities
- Other information about the impact of the event on the community
Important dates and deadlines:
- Jan 18 - Feb 18 - Proposal will be received
- Feb 18 - March 7 - Proposals will be reviewed
- March 8-10 - Winners will be announced
- April 1-30 - Libraries will host programs
- May 31 - Reports due to the REFORMA