2020 Día Mini-Grants Winners
REFORMA is committed to continuing supporting programing to Latinos and Spanish speakers in our communities - virtual and in-person. The time to review the applications and select the winners of our 2020 Día Mini-Grants Program came around the time the COVID-19 pandemic was developing, which prompted us to adjust the program timeline and guidelines. The winners were selected based on the creativity, level of community involvement, and showcase of Latinx literature and culture, as presented in their original submission.
We’re excited to announce the winners of the 2020 REFORMA Día Mini-Grants:
- OC Public Libraries, La Habra Branch / David Lopez - Orange County, CA
- Council Bluffs Public Library / Yvonne Rodriguez - Council Bluffs, IA
- Hayward Public Library / Xenia Lal - Hayward, CA
- Betty J. Johnson North Sarasota Public Library / Gina Maria Rosabal - Sarasota, FL
- Chesapeake Public Library, Greenbrier Branch / Jeri Ramos Morton - Chesapeake, VA
Each library will receive $300 to support a virtual or in-person program in the spirit of Día. The program must take place by December 31, 2020.
REFORMA thanks the Día Mini-Grants Selection Committee:
- Alda Allina Migoni, REFORMA At-Large Representative
- Ana Campos, REFORMA Secretary
- Kenny Garcia, REFORMA President
- Maria F. Estrella, Chair of REFORMA’s Children’s and Young Adult Services Committee (CAYASC)
- Nicanor Diaz, REFORMA Chapter Representative
- Oscar Baeza, REFORMA Vice-President/President-Elect
Madeline Peña, REFORMA Immediate Past-President, served as project coordinator.
We thank everyone who applied for our Día Mini-Grant Program. We received 12 eligible submissions. If you'd like to support future Día Mini-Grants, consider making a donation to REFORMA at reforma.org/donate.
¡Felicidades a los ganadores!
El día de los niños/El día de los libros (Children's Day/Book Day), commonly known as Día
, is a celebration every day of children, families, and reading that culminates yearly on April 30. The celebration emphasizes the importance of literacy for children of all linguistic and cultural backgrounds. REFORMA is proud to be a founding partner
REFORMA will award 5 mini-grants of $300
to support a new or existing Día program that celebrates Latino culture.
- Public libraries, academic libraries, school libraries, and community organizations in the United States including Puerto Rico are eligible to apply.
- The library or the person submitting the application must be a current member of REFORMA.
- Funds will be provided to offset costs directly related to the delivery of a Día program, such as fees for author/performer, decorations, books, program or promotional materials, and refreshments.
- The program must celebrate Latino culture.
- The program must take place in the month of April 2020.
- Winners must agree that publicity for their event will identify REFORMA as sponsor/partial sponsor.
- Winners must be willing to have their program featured on the REFORMA website, listserv, social media accounts, and Newsletter both in written and photographic detail. Winners must submit a final report by May 8, 2020.
- Winners must be willing to add their programs to the National Día Program Registry.
- The application must be received by 11:59 PM (PST) on February 28, 2020.
The winners will be announced on March 15, 2020.