Associate Director for Outreach and Access
The Furman University Libraries seek a motivated, adaptable, and forward-thinking leader to provide strategic visioning for the newly combined Outreach and Access Division. The person in this library faculty position reports to the Director of Libraries and serves as a member of the Library’s Leadership Team. They participate in the creation, planning, and implementation of library initiatives which are aligned with the University’s priorities, and they work to foster an environment that prioritizes diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. This individual guides the Outreach and Access Division in the many services they offer to the campus community, which include course-integrated library instruction, research assistance, academic department collaboration and support, collection development and management, circulation, interlibrary loan, programming, and various other forms of innovative outreach.
- Supervises the Coordinator of Access Services and six Outreach Library faculty members, including the Science Librarian and the Music Librarian.
- Develops a strategic vision for the division; builds on current strengths and seeks out new opportunities to serve the university community.
- As appropriate, both leads and participates in course-integrated library instruction, research assistance, outreach and departmental liaison work, and multi-phase projects and initiatives.
- Coordinates the Furman University Libraries’ presence at campus events, activities, and programs.
- Collaborates with academic partners to identify, lead, implement, and support new and ongoing initiatives on campus and beyond.
- Advocates for the Libraries and particularly for Outreach and Access library staff and faculty.
- Serves on the Library Leadership Team.
- Embraces the diversity of strengths, contributions, viewpoints, and work styles of library colleagues and those within the broader campus community; works to foster an environment that prioritizes diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Establishes and maintains open dialog within the division and library, fostering a collegial work environment.
- Manages the hiring, motivation, mentoring, and evaluation of their reports; encourages, seeks, and facilitates professional development opportunities for self and division members.
- Collects, assesses, and disseminates data related to Outreach and Access services for internal use and external reporting.
- Collaborates with the Associate Director for Digital and Resource Management in maintaining a strong liaison program empowering Outreach Librarians and Access Services Staff to participate in collection development and maintenance activities.
- Participates in regional and national professional associations and advances knowledge of current higher education and academic library issues, trends, standards, and emerging technologies.
- As a member of the university faculty, participates fully in faculty governance to provide a voice for the Libraries. This includes activities such as attending faculty meetings and serving on university committees. This may also involve serving as a Pathways advisor/instructor as well as proposing and teaching other credit-bearing courses.
- Displays curiosity, openness, and authenticity in their interactions with students, colleagues, academic partners, and the community.
- Helps others learn, grow, and improve through support, feedback, inspiration, motivation, and encouragement.
- Holds a proven record of project, organizational, analytical, time management, and communication skills.
- Shows flexibility and creativity in navigating change.
To apply, go to https://libguides.furman.edu/library/jobs/associate-director-outreach-access
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit the following:
- a cover letter
- a résumé or curriculum vitae
- a diversity statement of no more than 750 words addressing the applicant’s…
- awareness and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- experience promoting these values
- plans to help the Furman University Libraries achieve their vision of becoming a "campus leader in the advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion by creating a welcoming environment where every member of the Furman community can connect, discover, and learn."
- the names and contact information of three references
Associate Director for Outreach and Access
|Posting Start Date:
- Master of Library Science (and/or Information Science) from an ALA accredited library school or international equivalent.
- Five or more years of professional academic library experience or the ability to be appointed at the associate or higher rank.
- Two or more years of progressive leadership and supervisory experience.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Familiarity with standard data collection and assessment techniques.
- Knowledge of a broad variety of academic research resources and databases.
- Experience in library instruction and outreach.
- Experience with circulation, collection management, and resource sharing.
- Familiarity with accessibility best practices.
- Experience in event programming and/or project management.
- Experience with SpringShare products or other web authoring tools.
||This listing expires on: 1/31/2023