Teen Services Librarian
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time Teen Services Librarian at its Main Library in downtown Dayton, Ohio. The selected Teen Services Librarian will be one of two Teen Services Librarians at the Main Library and will report to the Youth Services Manager. We are looking for someone with experience creating unique and engaging programming for youth in grades 7-12. The ideal candidate will have experience working in an urban setting and be accustomed to handling common issues that teens experience today. Apply today!
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Additional consideration may be given to individuals that are fluent or proficient in any non-English languages used in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish, Swahili, and American Sign Language (ASL).
Essential Job Duties
- Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the Teen area through personal presence and area’s design.
- Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers’ advisory, information literacy, and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats). Serves at the Ask Me Desk and in a roaming capacity.
- Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
- Provides work guidance in the absence of the Manager and/or appointed person in charge.
- Designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates teen programs and activities that address community needs and incorporates library resources.
- Provides service and maintains liaisons with schools, community organizations, government agencies, and other groups as appropriate. Provides library outreach programs and school visits that meet community needs.
- Maintains attractive appearance of the Teen area in accordance with safety and ADA requirements. Creates displays to promote library use.
- Evaluates and suggests titles for purchase or replacement. Reevaluates and deselects materials which need to be cancelled, repaired, replaced, or redistributed.
- Submits required reports and budget requests. May serve on library committees. Attends applicable department meetings. Assists with system-wide programs, activities, and initiatives.
Teen Services Librarian
||Dayton Metro Library
||21.07 per hour
|Posting Start Date:
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience is required.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required. Ability to drive vehicle.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from teens, parents, teachers, patrons, managers, coworkers and members of the community. Ability to apply active listening skills. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures. Knowledge and appreciation of teen literature, periodicals, audiovisual materials, web sites, social media and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current and relevant teen collection.
- Knowledge of available teen library materials and reader’s interests. Ability to determine patron information needs.
- Ability to plan and implement programs and services to meet community needs.
- Ability to use Internet and other electronic reference resources. Ability to use e-mail, spreadsheet, and word processing software. Ability to learn integrated library system functions used in carrying out job duties. Ability to operate in a network environment.
- Schedule includes day, evening and Saturday hours.
Compensation and Benefits: The starting hourly rate for this position is $21.07. Those with a Master’s degree may be entitled to a professional offset. Benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance along with paid time off.
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Kadel at firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.
The Dayton Metro Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
||This listing expires on: 2/7/2023