Youth Services Manager
The Dayton Metro Library is recruiting a full-time Youth Services Manager who will oversee both the Children’s and Teen areas of the Main Library. Each of these areas offers amenities such as gaming systems and tutor rooms. The ideal candidate will have the knowledge and skills to manage difficult situations with youth, particularly teens, in an urban setting.
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Additional consideration may be given to individuals that are fluent or proficient in any non-English languages used in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish, Swahili, and American Sign Language (ASL).
Essential Job Duties
- Establishes and implements goals and objectives for Youth Services at the Main Library that support the Library’s mission.
- Directs all department services such as reference assistance, readers’ advisory, outreach and programming. Advises teachers and parents on the choice of library materials for children and teens.
- Hires, trains, directly supervises and evaluates employees in Youth Services. Oversees department volunteers. Ensures proper staffing at all customer service points. Serves as liaison between Main Library Manager and staff.
- Ensures the efficient, effective, customer service oriented delivery of Main Library youth services. Maintains a current knowledge of Library operations, policies and procedures. Demonstrates and models excellent internal and external customer service. Maintains frequent personal presence in public areas to ensure outstanding service.
- Manages the collections of Main Youth Services and oversees evaluation and processing of donated youth services materials. Collaborates with Collection Development to ensure the collection is responsive to community’s information, recreational, and educational needs. Arranges for repair, cancellation, or redistribution of materials as needed.
- Promotes community awareness of the Library and establishes effective communication and partnerships with schools, community groups, organizations and individuals.
- Prepares annual budget requests and submits reports as requested.
- Answers patrons’ reference questions and assists patrons in selecting and locating materials. Assists patrons in the use of computers, personal electronic devices and library virtual materials.
- Monitors facility needs, initiates maintenance and repair of the Youth Services areas and equipment in cooperation with the Facilities Manager. Maintains safe and secure youth services areas for staff and patrons in conjunction with the Safety and Protective Services Manager.
Youth Services Manager
||Dayton Metro Library
|Posting Start Date:
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science, social work, education, or another related field preferred. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
- Ability to plan, schedule, and oversee department operations and personnel.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, theories, concepts, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge and appreciation of children’s literature, periodicals, audiovisual materials, web sites, social media, and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current and relevant youth collection.
- Ability to present information and respond to questions from staff, patrons, and members of the community individually and in a group setting.
- Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Ability to develop programs and services to meet community needs.
- Ability to prepare and administer budgets.
- Schedule includes day, evening and Saturday hours.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary is negotiable starting at $60,676 annually. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance along with paid time off and OPERS retirement.
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Kadel at firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.
The Dayton Metro Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
||This listing expires on: 2/7/2023