The Science Librarian (12-month full-time appointment) has a strong commitment to service and learning for the students, faculty, and staff of the University. The librarian exercises broad, independent judgment and authority under the direction of the Research Support Services (LRSS) department head.
The librarian serves as subject librarian to the departments and programs within the College of Science. Liaison duties include providing instruction, research assistance, and collection development services, and the creation and maintenance of subject guides for these disciplines. The Science Librarian demonstrates a commitment to continual professional development through scholarly research including publications and presentations, and through participation and leadership in service to the library, university, and profession.
SPECIFIC POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
Minimum qualifications for the position:
- Serves as library subject librarian to students and faculty of the Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics departments and to the Environmental Science, Forensic Science, and Teach North Texas programs.
- Provides specialized and individual reference consultations and services
- Provides library instruction.
- Develops web content and library instructional materials, including class pages, subject guides and print handouts.
- Provides communication and outreach to faculty and students.
- Facilitates collection development for subject areas.
- Provides training for staff on topics relating to subject librarian area resources.
- Participates in library-wide assessment activities.
- Participates in RSS department activities and projects as assigned
- Participates in strategic planning of RSS department.
- Stays current with developments in computer, library, and information science fields as appropriate.
- Maintains a collegial working relationship with other library departments and divisions.
- Works to meet the requirements for scholarly, creative, and professional activities.
- Works to meet the requirements for service to the libraries, university, and the community.
- Fosters positive relations with faculty, students, and staff and promotes the University's and Library's commitment to diversity.
Preferred qualifications for the position:
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program or advanced degree in a science related field, conferred by the date of hire.
- Experience working (paid or unpaid) in a library or information environment
- Strong public service focus and a collegial style with the ability to establish positive and productive collaborations
- Demonstrated ability to adjust priorities, set goals, manage time wisely, and make quick effective decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations
- Strong experience using and teaching science and/or data resources
- Evidence of innovative thinking and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with impact metrics for scholarship
We want to emphasize that the preferred qualifications are not required and that we are committed to helping our future colleague develop these preferred skills. We strongly encourage those who are passionate about fostering diverse inclusive and equitable libraries to apply.
We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ+ individuals.
The University of North Texas is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution committed to diversity in its employment and educational programs, thereby creating a welcoming environment for everyone.
To apply, please visit: https://jobs.untsystem.edu/postings/67199
||University of North Texas
||Salary is dependent on experience with a minimum of $57,641.00 (Assistant Librarian rank) and $62,641.40 (Associate Librarian rank).
|Posting Start Date:
||This listing expires on: 2/12/2023