Lecturer - User Experience and Emerging Technologies Librarian (Library)
Job Title: Lecturer - User Experience and Emerging Technologies Librarian (Library)
Job ID: 25373
Location: Brooklyn College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Brooklyn College of the City University of New York (CUNY) invites applications for a full-time Lecturer position in the Library with a starting date on July 1, 2023.
The User Experience and Emerging Technologies (UXET) Librarian identifies, implements, and assesses current and emerging technologies for the delivery of optimal, user-focused library services. The UXET Librarian is responsible for improving the usability of the Library’s web site, including tools for discovery, virtual reference, social networking, mobile services, and instructional technologies. The UXET Librarian plans staff and faculty development opportunities in order to build technology awareness and broadly supports the adoption of technologies that improve the user experience. The UXET Librarian has excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrates the ability to interact with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff. As a member of the Reference and Instruction unit, this librarian participates in a broad range of reference, instructional services, and collection development responsibilities. The faculty lecturer, UXET librarian, is a full-time position that leads to a certificate of continuous employment. The incumbent is expected to be committed to excellence in librarianship and sustained service to the department and college in support of their missions. Mentoring and support is available to all Library faculty.
Brooklyn College is a microcosm of the ethnically rich borough of Brooklyn it serves as well as a mirror of the wide diversity in New York City itself. A vibrant, intellectually engaged community, our student body comprises individuals from 150 countries, speaking 105 different languages, many of whom are the first in their family to attend college. The College transforms lives by providing access to outstanding undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts and sciences, business, education, and a vibrant general education curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences. We are an urban, public institution, proudly situated in one of the most dynamic and diverse communities in the country. We are committed to student success and to our historic mission to provide an affordable, high-quality education to students of all backgrounds. We seek to develop knowledgeable students who are engaged in the life of the college and our community, and are prepared to think critically, lead responsibly, act ethically, and contribute globally.
The User Experience and Emerging Technologies Librarian's duties include:
- Exploring emerging technological trends to improve the physical and virtual presence of the Library and making recommendations for adoption of appropriate technologies.
- Building awareness and acceptance of implemented technologies.
- Assessing the impact of technology-based services on Library users, including collecting and reporting usage statistics and other user input and data.
- Evaluating and updating the Library’s website in conjunction with Reference colleagues and Academic IT.
- Developing, updating, and maintaining the Library Libguides and social media presence.
- Coordinating and implementing efforts to embed library resources and services in the college CMS (Blackboard).
- Creating online tutorials, learning objects, widgets, apps and other products for the Library using emerging technologies to support information literacy.
- Consulting on instructional design and occasional technical support for campus OER projects.
- Serving as subject liaison for assigned academic departments including subject-specific reference and instruction, subject guides, and collection development for those disciplines.
- Participating in regularly scheduled in person and virtual reference service, including evening and weekend work as needed.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
- Master’s degree in information and/or library science from an ALA-accredited school or an ALA-approved foreign equivalent.
- Awareness of current issues and trends in information technology and public services.
- Experience with usability studies and user feedback.
- Demonstrated experience with web site development and online tutorial development, including familiarity with tools such as LibGuides, WordPress, Camtasia, etc.
- Experience using course management systems and content management systems.
- Familiarity with principles of reference, instruction, collection development, and faculty liaison programs in academic librarianship.
- Proficiency with programming applicable to web development.
- Experience with relational databases and/or other development technologies.
- Two years or more of professional experience in an academic library with a thorough understanding of academic user needs.
- Experience with reference, instruction, collection development and/or faculty liaison programs in an academic library.
$69,983 - $83,764; Salary commensurate with experience and credentials.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
STEP ONE - Submit Application Online
From our job posting system, select "Apply Now'', create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, please visit https://cuny.jobs/brooklyn-college/new-jobs/
Applicants should upload the following in .doc or .pdf format:
STEP TWO - Submit References Contact Information at www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/hrref/?223
- An application letter indicating the desired position, and should detail how their teaching, service and/or scholarship has supported the success of students from racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds that are underrepresented in their academic fields; applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience should note how their work will further CUNY’s commitment to diversity.
- Current curriculum vitae
- Examples of tutorials, user guides or websites you have developed.
All applicants are required to have three confidential letters of recommendation submitted electronically by their recommenders by visiting the link above and entering the contact information for three (3) recommenders.
The online system will automatically email your recommenders a request to submit a letter via the system. Full instructions will be provided.
Emailed or hard copy applications will not be considered.
January 27, 2023
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.