Mobile Services & Outreach Supervisor
Boston Public Library is looking for a librarian to join their team as the Mobile Services & Outreach Supervisor. In addition to mobile outreach, this position oversees the libraries Digital Instruction and Literacy program.
Under the direction of the Community Learning Supervisor, to assume oversight for the mobile programs, of the Community Learning program, and to perform outreach services to neighborhood communities and community organizations. Provides oversight to the library’s Digital Literacy and Instruction program.
Community Learning Supervisor
Professional and support staff members as assigned
Scope of Responsibility
- In collaboration with the Community Learning Supervisor, and staff, plans, and oversees outreach activities in communities for Community Learning, particularly with a focus on mobile services.
- Coordinates system-wide outreach for all staff by maintaining a calendar of events, maintaining an event request process, coordinating staff event coverage, reserving mobile outreach devices, and securing materials needed for events.
- Participates in outreach activities to make community connections, explore the needs of the community, provide services and library materials in remote locations where library use may be otherwise minimal in remote locations, and to promote use of the team’s and the library’s collections and services.
- Develops and maintains relationships with organizations across the City that reach different communities.
- Works closely with other staff in branches and Central library, coordinating schedules to provide mobile services in communities.
- Responsible for arranging for the maintenance and upkeep of the bicycles, and any other equipment needed for mobile services.
- Responsible for development and implementation of educational curriculum around technology, including simple bicycle maintenance and repair, and use of mobile devices.
- Oversees the Library’s public instruction program. Provides technology training to patrons that meet the interests, skills, and needs.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets and annual reports to stakeholders.
- Responsible for oral presentations and written reports on assigned activities within the scope of responsibility.
- Develops subject related content for the library’s website.
- Provides training of professional and support staff and provides orientation of both staff and members of the public to the services of the team.
- Initiates and maintains appropriate working relationships with staff within the Library and with other libraries, organizations, and agencies.
- Works collaboratively with branches and community partners to ensure that outreach services and programs uphold equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility values.
- Initiates analysis of aspects of related services, and operations, and recommends improvements to enhance public service.
- Stays abreast of emerging technologies and assists in evaluating, recommending, and incorporating information technologies and best practices for continued public service improvements.
- Keeps current in the best practices of the profession by taking advantage of training and development activities, by reading professional literature, and by participating in professional activities.
- Represents library at local and national conferences.
- Works on public service desk as assigned.
- Performs other related and comparable duties as assigned.
- Proficiency with MSWord, Publisher, Power Point, and Excel.
- Ability to execute library policy.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others.
- Demonstrates initiative and independent decision making skills.
- Communicates effectively and presents ideas clearly.
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively.
- Identifies, plans and prioritizes job responsibilities and tasks; determines and implements project timelines.
- Demonstrates flexibility and the ability to adapt to change.
- Collaborates with internal and external partners.
- Ability to work well with staff and public.
- High level of comfort with program planning, implementation, and evaluation.
For a full job description, please visit the City of Boston's job listing at https://city-boston.icims.com/jobs/23632/mobile-services-%26-outreach-supervisor/job?hub=8&mobile=false&width=1200&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240.
Mobile Services & Outreach Supervisor
||Boston Public Library
|Posting Start Date:
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
- Education - Bachelor's degree from a recognized college or university and a master's degree in library and information science from an ALA accredited library school or a master’s degree in education. Relevant subject knowledge and/or specialized training required. In exceptional instances specialized education, training and/or experience may be substituted for part or all of the educational requirements.
- Experience – Four years of professional library experience including experience in outreach services and in working collaboratively with community based organizations, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training sufficient to indicate ability to do the work. Demonstrated interest in community library work. Experience building sustainable community relationships. Experience supervising staff preferred.
- Proficiency in a second language other than English desirable.
- Some evening and weekend hours. Ability to travel to BPL and off-site locations.
- Residency – Must be a resident of the City of Boston upon the first day of hire.
- CORI – Must successfully clear a Criminal Offenders Record Information check with the City of Boston.
||This listing expires on: 2/21/2023