Public Services Manager - South County Library
Public Services Manager - South County Library
Jefferson County Public Library
Open Until Filled
$65,241.00 to $83,183.00
Link to Apply
Are you passionate about providing public library service that builds an educated and vibrant community? Do you believe in the values of innovation, accountability and excellence? Are you both a coach and role model for staff? If you are ready to be a leader in achieving Library objectives, this library manager position may be for you!
Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) is poised to position itself at the forefront of library service. We have an exciting management opportunity for our new South County Library! This library location is currently in pre-construction development.
We are looking for a Library Manager who believes in the values of innovation, accountability and excellence – a leader who advocates for libraries, is up-to-date on current trends in the profession and is passionate about providing public library service that builds an educated and vibrant community, and a new kind of patron experience. You will manage/supervise South County staff, create an environment that reflects JCPL's values of serving with care, welcoming all, meeting people where they are, giving them full attention and exceeding customer expectations. You will manage/audit system resources with budgetary and decision-making authority over those resources. You will create partnerships and relationships in the community through outreach.
Required - Public Library Experience.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Communicates expectations to staff and colleagues about Library services and trends in area of responsibility. Models best behavior practices for customer service. Creates conditions for quality customer experiences in their areas of responsibility. Ensures maintenance of Library resources, including physical and virtual, so that residents have equal access to information and ideas. Is aware of and implements industry best practices for merchandising, labeling and promoting Library resources. Provides quality assurance in programs presented in their location or their area of responsibility, including off-site locations. Manages promotion of programs to target audiences. Provides direct customer service, particularly in non-routine situations. Conducts outreach into the community by identifying potential groups and ensures direct contact from the Library. Resolves customer service issues, including dealing with law enforcement and first responders. Ensures a safe environment for staff and public.
- CORE LIBRARY SERVICE: Collaborates with others and manages cross-functional teams to accomplish goals and objectives in their system-wide service. Gathers and evaluates input from community for implementing system-services using established industry benchmarks. Uses established industry benchmarks to determine gaps in service provision and quality. Maintains current knowledge of trends in libraries and related fields to identify new services for development and implementation system-wide. Provides quality assurance in programs presented in their area of responsibility, including off-site locations. Manages promotion of programs to target audiences.
- OPERATIONAL ORGANIZATION: Participates in special assignments such as prototyping new services. Supervises short-term projects outside typical area of responsibility. May perform the duties as an acting manager/person in charge(PIC) for local and/or other locations on a temporary basis as needed.
- FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Establishes and manages location/core service budget. Participates in short and long term planning for Library services. Provides input for anticipated local and system needs. Accountable for system-wide budget expenditures in their area of responsibility. Communicates goals and strategic priorities to staff under their area of responsibility. Ensures compliance with budget limits and established purchasing procedures with staff under their supervision.
- SUPERVISION & MANAGEMENT: Hires, assigns, trains, directs and supervises the division staff as well as temporary staff, volunteers and interns in area of responsibility. Coaches on industry best practices. Administers or makes recommendations for routine personnel matters affecting direct reports including recruitment, orientation, training, setting performance goals, assigning and reviewing work, approving time cards, approving leave, appraising and disciplining, submitting records and documentation as required by Library and Jefferson County Policy. Conducts regular staff meetings with subordinate staff. Communicates changes in policies and procedures to direct reports and implements them as directed. Provides technical guidance and support to ensure conformity with established policies, rules and regulations. Anticipates and solves problems as non-routine situations arise. Promotes professional development and leadership skills among direct reports and teams. Responsible for creating and implementing change management plans and strategies that maximum employee engagement and minimizes employee resistance. Provides leadership towards the Library's mission, vision and values. Serves as a member of JCPL’s CMT (Combined Management Team). Collaborates and coordinates with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish JCPL goals and objectives as well as Division goals and objectives. Uses and continually develops leadership skills and participates in on-going professional development. Maintains skills, knowledge and subject matter expertise in areas of responsibility and industry trends through training and professional development. Attends conferences and participates in development activities.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Preferred - Master's degree in Library Science or Library Information Systems or equivalent experience.
Preferred – Experience with outreach, creating partnerships, and community engagement.
Preferred – Experience team building in a leadership position.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Our mission at Jefferson County includes providing exceptional service to the members of our community, and we believe that we can empower our employees to provide that service by providing excellent benefits, including: generous paid time off in addition to paid holidays, flexible schedules to encourage work/life balance, wellness opportunities to encourage maintaining a healthy lifestyle, tuition reimbursement programs, trainings for personal and professional growth, retirement savings plans with company match, and Medical/Vision/Dental plans customizable to your budget for individuals and families.
Jefferson County Public Library is committed to providing an inclusive workplace. We seek individuals with the same passion and commitment to providing equal access to information and opportunities for our community. We value diversity and strive to incorporate our values: innovation, accountability and excellence in all our work and interactions.
Jefferson County Public Library will always be here to connect you to the people, ideas and inspiration for whatever's next in life. Define your destination, and we'll help you get there. So you can always be learning. Always be creating. And always be discovering something new.
We help to build an educated and vibrant community by providing equal access to information and opportunities.
We will be the essential destination where all generations connect, discover, and create.
We serve with care; everyone is welcome here. We meet you where you are, give you our full attention, and strive to exceed your expectations.
Our core values are Innovation, Accountability, and Excellence.
Link to Apply