Research Librarian for Health Sciences
The University of California, Irvine Libraries seeks an energetic, creative, knowledgeable, and user-oriented Research Librarian (RL) for Health Sciences to serve as a liaison to one or more Schools and programs within the UCI Susan & Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences, that includes the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, and the Program in Public Health. The incumbent will work closely with the Libraries’ Health Sciences team to provide instruction and reference consultations to faculty and students throughout the College of Health Sciences and participate in the Libraries’ systematic review service. This position may also require travel on occasion to the UCI Medical Center in Orange.
Qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and life experiences are encouraged to apply. The UCI Libraries is committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and advancing UCI’s Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
At the heart of University of California, Irvine’s academic community, the UCI Libraries plays a vital role in enabling our outstanding students, faculty and researchers to create new knowledge, develop lifelong learning skills, and make meaningful contributions to society. We value innovation and collaboration, and we are committed to fostering an environment that promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Libraries’ physical spaces consist of the Langson Library, the Science Library, the Library Gateway Study Center, and the Grunigen Medical Library.
The University of California, Irvine, is nestled in over 1,500 acres of coastal foothills, five miles from the Pacific Ocean, between San Diego and Los Angeles and located on the homelands of the Acjachemen and Tongva peoples, (https://diversity.lib.uci.edu/land-acknowledgement)
. Founded in 1965, UCI has over 37,000 undergraduate and graduate students and over 1,800 faculty and staff. Nearly 67% of UCI students identify themselves as Asian American, African American, Chicano/Latino, or Native American. Over 50% of UCI’s bachelor’s degrees are awarded to first generation college students. The University is committed to serving students from all backgrounds as demonstrated by UCI’s Black Thriving Initiative, (https://inclusion.uci.edu/uci-black-thriving-initiative/
) and its designation as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), and a Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI), (https://inclusion.uci.edu/msi/
). The New York Times ranks UCI as the #1 college doing the most for the American Dream, and U.S. News and Report ranks UCI among the top ten public universities in the nation. The University offers graduate degrees in more than 100 academic disciplines and interdisciplinary programs in addition to the M.D. and J.D.
The full position description is listed on the UCI Libraries website at https://www.lib.uci.edu/current-librarian-and-administrative-vacancies
with links to additional websites featuring campus and community information.
Apply via UCI AP Recruit
Appointment is anticipated to be at the Assistant or Associate Librarian rank with a salary of $60,116 - $89,655. The posted UC salary scales set the minimum pay determined by rank and salary point at appointment. See Table for Represented Librarians at http://ap.uci.edu/wp-content/uploads/libr.pdf
Applications received by March 6, 2023
will receive first consideration.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Research Librarian for Health Sciences
||University of California, Irvine Libraries
||$60,116 - $89,655
|Posting Start Date:
- Graduate degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution or an equivalent combination of relevant advanced degree and library experience.
- Educational background in the health or life sciences; or experience performing health sciences related reference, instruction and/or collection development.
- Ability to provide effective reference and instruction in the health sciences.
- Strong interest in working with students, faculty, and health science professionals.
- Commitment to user-centered library services.
- Strong interest in how libraries can support open access and data management policies.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively and to promote teamwork, diversity, equality, and inclusiveness within UCI Libraries and the campus.
- Ability to meet the University of California criteria for advancement and promotion.
- Experience supporting systematic reviews.
- Knowledge of scholarly communication issues and trends within the health sciences.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience performing reference, instruction and/or collection development in the health sciences.
- Understanding of the interdisciplinary nature of Biomedical science.
- Experience managing or leading projects.
||This listing expires on: 4/8/2023