Financial Data Analyst
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Financial Data Analyst
Posting Open Date: 02/14/2023
Posting Close Date: 02/27/2023
Open Until Filled: No
Department Description: The University Libraries aspires to set the standard for public university research libraries in the digital age. As one of the premier libraries in the South, we are an essential partner in the research, education, clinical care, and public service missions of UNC-Chapel Hill. The library system includes 10 on-campus Libraries, with nearly 10 million volumes, rich archival collections, and a growing investment in digital collections. We are creating a community that is inclusive, open, and equitable for all. The University Libraries’ Reckoning Initiative uses equity, inclusion, and social justice as a lens for all our work. Our Sustainable Scholarship Initiative seeks to transform scholarly publishing and democratize access to scholarship for the public good. The University Libraries is committed to increasing the diversity of its staff and welcomes applications from candidates who bring additional dimensions to our mission and work. We strive to create an environment of respect and collaboration where vision and innovation can flourish.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
Position Description: The Financial Data Analyst will provide financial data expertise to support the mission and vision of the University Libraries. The Financial Data Analyst maintains and improves automated systems that insure the fulfillment of daily accounting, budget, and business needs. The person in this position will utilize various data techniques to consolidate data from multiple sources and present financial data in an easily understandable format using tools such as Excel, Access/SQL, Tableau, PowerPoint, etc. Using tools for data analytics and visualization and business intelligence, such as Power Query, Power BI, and Tableau, and/or SQL, this position will develop financial dashboards and automated financial reporting for library and campus stakeholders. This position will develop automated processes and tools to create financial models that support business and financial analysis. This position will analyze existing reporting and redesign as necessary for efficient reporting based on user requirements and purpose. They will assist with maintenance and documentation of internal control processes to ensure accuracy of the data and reports. The Fiscal Services department of the University Libraries consists of seven positions and provides financial planning, financial services, and business services and support. Specifically, responsibilities include:
* Budget planning, management, and analysis of 300 University accounts from all funding sources: state, trust/endowment, and grants
* Developing and implementing financial policies and procedures
* Leads financial support for facilities planning, and maintenance and renovation needs for Davis, Wilson, Health Sciences, and R.B. House Libraries, and several branch libraries
* Providing business knowledge and assistance to internal and external customers
* Development and maintenance of financial and operational internal controls
* Ensuring financial and business compliance with Federal, State, and University regulations
* Analysis, development and implementation of accounting information systems, and the creation of decision-ready management reports
* Planning and procuring the necessary services, equipment, supplies and library materials to keep the libraries in operation; provide for the research needs of faculty, students, researchers, doctors, preceptors, hospitals, and other medical agencies
* Functioning as liaison for communicating business information and needs between university and campus libraries The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is the country’s oldest state university. UNC-Chapel Hill has an enrollment of approximately 29,000 students and employs more than 3,500 members of the faculty and offers sixty-nine doctoral degrees as well as professional degrees in medicine, nursing, dentistry, pharmacy, and law. The Health Sciences Library is part of the University Libraries and is a recognized leader within the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. University Library collections include over 9.7 million volumes. The library is a member of the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, Association of Research Libraries and the Center for Research Libraries. Together with the libraries of Duke University, North Carolina Central University and North Carolina State University, the University Libraries is a member of the Triangle Research Libraries Network (TRLN). The University Libraries are committed to increasing the diversity of its staff, and therefore welcomes applications from candidates who bring additional dimensions to our mission and work. The University Libraries invest proudly in our employees, strive to create a diverse environment of respect and collaboration, and encourage vision and innovation.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities: * Demonstrated experience with enterprise in financial systems, data analytics, data visualization and dashboard, business intelligence, and query tools.
* Proficiency with accounting, finance, and business process practices.
* Demonstrated experience with innovative problem solving, data analysis, and financial modeling.
* Ability to present complex information in an understandable format.
* Attention to detail and commitment to accuracy.
* Commitment to excellent customer service.
* Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products.
* Demonstrated experience with enterprise financial systems such as Oracle/PeopleSoft.
* Demonstrated experience with tools used for data analytics, data visualization, and business intelligence, such as Power Query, Power BI, Tableau, and/or SQL Developer.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work and engage with a diverse group of stakeholders.
Education Requirements: Master’s and 1-2 years’ experience; or Bachelors and 2-4 years’ experience; or will accept a combination of related education and experience in substitution.
Qualifications and Experience: * Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information management, economics, finance, or statistics
* Experience in an academic or nonprofit environment
* Experience using Python and SQL
Special Physical and Mental Requirements:
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/250264
Department Contact Name and Title: Sonya Harris, HR Consultant
Department Contact Telephone or Email: email@example.com
Office of Human Resources Contact Information: If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.