Essential and marginal functions and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Provides children’s reference and other services over the telephone and in person to children, young adult, and adult patrons, and Library District staff by searching files, the children’s collection, and automated library systems to locate requested information or materials.
2. Assists children, young adults, and adult patrons in the use of the Children’s Services circulating collections and materials using the Library of Congress Classifications and in the use of automated library systems, various indexes, and non-book materials.
3. Maintains knowledge of children’s services.
4. Exercises decision making skills.
5. Assists the Department Head with collection development activities such as reading reviews, ordering library materials and weeding.
6. Assists with the maintenance of the Children’s Services Department reference and circulating collections.
7. Maintains compliance with the Library District, Branch, and Children’s Services Department policies and procedures and explains policies and procedures to patrons and staff.
8. Ensures that the calendar of programs, activities, and events for the YPL/Children’s Services Department is maintained.
9. Prepares and conducts story hours and programs for children up to 18 years of age.
10. Prepares and conducts programs for adults relating to children’s services.
11. Provides information about district-wide activities, facilities, and services.
12. Interacts extensively over the telephone, and in person with children, young adults, adult patrons, district-wide staff and management, outside agencies, and other libraries.
13. Confers with teachers, parents, and community groups to assist in planning, organizing, and implementing special programs and exhibits to encourage and improve children’s and young adult’s communication skills, to promote reading, and to encourage greater patronage of the Library District.
14. Conducts tours of the YPL/Children’s Services Department for teachers, students, schools, day care centers, and other interested groups.
15. Makes visits to schools, day care centers, and other organizations in order to promote books and reading.
16. Performs routine shelf checks to ensure continuing physical maintenance and proper location of books, periodicals, and other library materials relevant to the Children’s Services Department.
17. Decorates the Children’s Services Department with appropriate accessories for the seasons, holidays, and other events.
18. Assembles and arranges displays of books and other library materials.
19. Maintains and files records and reports appropriate to the YPL/Children’s Services Department.
20. Utilizes personal computers, automated library systems, the Internet, and on-line tools and resources.
21. Operates library and office equipment including, but not limited to: copy machine, telephone, facsimile machine, and microfiche/microfilm machines.
22. Attends or conducts meetings and training sessions at meeting sites throughout the district.
23. Maintains a safe environment for both staff and patrons.