Essential and marginal functions and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Provides exceptional internal and external customer service to promote a positive patron experience.
2. Assists teens and other youth with a variety of projects that support planning for the future, including pursuing academic and job opportunities that leverage their skills and experience.
3. Instructs teens and other youth with the use of a variety of technical equipment and software programs.
4. Provides reference and other services to teens and other library patrons by searching files, the library material collection, and automated library systems to locate requested information or materials.
5. Ensures physical maintenance and proper location of library materials and equipment related to the department.
6. Supports the implementation of special programs and exhibits to improve teen communication, creativity, and job skills; and to encourage greater patronage of the Library District.
7. Prepares and conducts programs targeted for teens and other youth.
8. Ensures that the calendar of programs, activities, and events for the department is maintained.
9. Supports volunteer mentors, ensuring they work effectively with teens and other youth.
10. Conducts outreach to external organizations including schools, community centers, and other organizations to promote library services.
11. Maintains knowledge of Teen Services and/or Youth Services.
12. Provides information about District-wide activities, facilities, and services.
13. Interacts extensively in person, over the telephone, and electronically in the general correspondence with Library District staff and management, other library systems, outside agencies, partners, vendors, and the general public.
14. Responds to public and staff inquiries in a courteous and timely manner.
15. Maintains compliance with the Library District, Branch, Teen Services and Youth Services Department policies and procedures and explains policies and procedures to patrons and staff.
16. Conducts tours of the department for teachers, students, schools, and other interested groups.
17. Decorates the department with appropriate accessories utilizing teen created artwork and projects.
18. Maintains, tracks, and files a variety of patron and statistical data and records.
19. Utilizes a variety of electronic devices, sound recording equipment, printers, automated library systems, and software programs including e-mail, Internet, social media, and other digital tools and resources.
20. Provides basic computer maintenance, including file management, trouble-shooting, and technical support.
21. Attends and/or conducts meetings and training sessions onsite and offsite, and participates in sharing ideas and issues in support of collaborate projects across networks.
22. Exercises limited decision making skills.
23. Schedules public use of equipment, when appropriate.
24. Maintains positive communication between branch staff, other departments, and Library District Administration.
25. Operates library and general office equipment including but not limited to copy machine, telephone, and fax machine.
26. Maintains a safe environment for both staff and patrons.
27. Promotes and supports the overall mission of the District by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.