YPL Children''s Services Assistant
DESCRIPTION OF HOURS AND WAGES:
This is a full-time position (40-hours per week). The hourly range is $20.83 to $33.33 per hour.
Sunday & Monday Schedule: OFF
Tuesday Schedule: 915 a.m.-615 p.m.
Wednesday Schedule: 915 a.m.-615 p.m.
Thursday Schedule: 1115 a.m.-815 p.m.
Friday Schedule: 915 a.m.-615 p.m.
Saturday Schedule: 915 a.m.-615 p.m.
DEFINITION: This position performs a variety of paraprofessional public service work in support of the YPL/Children’s Services Department at a district library.
Essential and marginal functions and responsibilities may include, but not limited to the following:
1. Provides children’s reference and other services to children, young adult, adult patrons and Library District staff by searching files, the library material collection, and automated library systems to locate requested information or materials.
2. Assists children, young adult, and adult patrons in the use of the Children’s Services circulating collections and materials using Library of Congress classifications and assists in the use of automated library systems, various indexes, and non-book materials.
3. Maintains knowledge of children’s services.
4. Ensures that the calendar of programs, activities, and events for the YPL/Children’s Services Department is maintained.
5. Prepares and conducts programs for patrons up to 18 years of age.
6. Prepares and conducts programs for adults relating to children’s service.
7. Conducts tours of YPL/Children’s Services Department for teachers, students, day care centers, and other organizations to promote books and reading.
8. Performs shelf checks to ensure continuing physical maintenance and proper location of books, periodicals, and other library materials relevant to the Department.
9. Maintains compliance with Library District, Branch, and YPL/Children’s Services Department policies and procedures, and explains policies and procedures to patrons and staff.
10. Interacts extensively over the telephone, and in person with patrons, district-wide staff and management, outside agencies, and other libraries.
11. Provides information about district-wide activities, facilities, and services.
12. Utilizes personal computers, automated library systems, the Internet, and on-line tools and resources.
13. Operates library and office equipment including, but not limited to: copy machine, telephone, facsimile machine, and microfiche/microfilm machines.
14. Attends or conducts miscellaneous meetings and training sessions at meeting sites throughout the district.
15. Maintains a safe environment for both staff and patrons.
16. Maintains and files records and reports appropriate to the YPL/Children’s Services Department.
17. Exercises limited decision making skills.
18. Schedules public use of equipment when appropriate to the YPL/Children’s Services Department.
19. Performs basic maintenance or repair on Library Branch equipment.
20. Operates Library District vehicles.