Information Services Librarian (Librarian I)
Provides information services to customers of all ages, including reference, programming and outreach, and inter-library loan. Recommends reading materials to customers with an emphasis on services to adults. Performs entry-level professional librarian work utilizing specialized professional knowledge to manage the collection, including weeding, replacements, input to collection development, and annual periodical selection. Communicates and interprets library policies and procedures to the public. Performs other duties as may be assigned to further the goals and objectives of Fairfax County Public Library.
Note: This job announcement may be used to fill future vacancies. Current vacancy is at the following location:
Salary: The selected applicant's starting annual salary will be in the minimum to midpoint range ($57,382 to $76,509.26) of the advertised compensation range (compensation rules apply per County personnel regulations for current Fairfax County Government and Fairfax County Public Schools employees).
- Tysons-Pimmit Regional Library, 7584 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA, 22043
Schedule: Scheduling flexibility is imperative. Standard hours may include day and/or evening hours to include weekdays and weekends as assigned. The schedule may vary depending on the needs of the library.
To learn more about a career with Fairfax County Public Library, watch our video "Library Staff Share Why They Love Working at the Library"
- Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position description.)
- Answers informational and reference questions from customers using print and electronic resources;
- Assists and instructs customers in the use of print and online materials and technology;
- Advises and assists customers in the selection of books, periodicals, media, and other materials;
- Plans and provides programs and outreach to customers of all ages;
- Maintains collection by weeding, marketing, and merchandising library materials;
- Troubleshoots library computers and reports unresolved problems through proper channels;
- Performs copy cataloging of library materials;
- Identifies materials to be considered for addition to the library collection;
- Remains current in resources, services and technologies in the information field;
- May supervise volunteers;
- May serve as person in charge.
- Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
- Knowledge of the principles, standards, and practices of library science;
- Knowledge of library reference sources and methods;
- Ability to create or curate professional resources;
- Ability to use professional knowledge to manage the library's collection;
- Ability to prioritize and manage a self-directed workload;
- Ability to provide information service to customers of all ages;
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with others;
- Ability to exercise tact, good judgment, and initiative;
- Knowledge of word processing and computer applications;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing to answer reference questions and provide reading guidance;
- Knowledge of the Library's operating procedures;
- Ability to interpret Library policy for staff and the general public;
- Ability to promote interest in library services;
- Ability to plan and provide community-oriented library programs and outreach;
- Ability to adapt to workplace change;
- Ability to classify and catalog material.
Information Services Librarian (Librarian I)
||Fairfax County Government
||Fairfax, VA, VA
|Posting Start Date:
Master's degree from an ALA (American Library Association) accredited library school; or ability to obtain a master's degree from an accredited library school within three months of the job advertisement closing date.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Possession of a certificate issued by the Virginia State Board for Certification of Librarians required within three (3) months of appointment to the position.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and child protective services registry check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Experience working in a library setting.
- Strong customer services skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with electronic book reading devices and basic knowledge of e-book downloading procedures.
- Experience in planning and providing programs and outreach to adults.
Ability to input, access, and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to lift up to 15 pounds. Ability to perform repetitive hand, arm, wrist, and shoulder movements. Ability to push and pull 4-wheeled book bins filled at 90% capacity, requiring 20 pounds of initial (starting) force, and a sustained force of 10 lbs. after initial acceleration. Ability to push and pull 4-wheeled book carts filled at 70% capacity, requiring 14 pounds of initial (starting) force, and a sustained force of 7 pounds after initial acceleration. Ability to shelve materials at all height levels. Ability to stand for 2 hours at a time. Ability to stoop, bend, reach, squat, and kneel. Ability to travel to various locations throughout Fairfax County to provide coverage, attend meetings and trainings. All duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov EEO/AA/TTY.
||This listing expires on: 12/23/2023