Health Sciences Librarian
$61,112 minimum salary at the Assistant University Librarian rank
$70,684 minimum salary at the Associate University Librarian rank
The Smathers Libraries offer a salary commensurate with experience and credentials
The George A. Smathers Libraries seek a creative, energetic, service-oriented librarian to support the research, education and service goals of the Borland Health Sciences Library (Borland). Borland is the Jacksonville branch of the Health Science Center Libraries, part of the University of Florida’s George A. Smathers Libraries. The Health Sciences Librarian provides support through reference assistance, in-depth information consultations, instruction, and outreach for the students, residents, faculty, and staff of the UF Health Jacksonville campus and its Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, and Pharmacy. This 12-month, tenure-track faculty position serves as a member of the Health Science Center Libraries faculty, and is responsible for special projects as assigned, such as development of web-based resources, service evaluation, collaboration on evidence syntheses, and collection reviews. Additionally, the Health Sciences Librarian assists with oversight of circulation and interlibrary loan functions for the branch.
The Smathers Libraries are committed to creating a thoughtful, equitable, and inclusive culture that provides space for innovation and creativity. We offer a fulfilling work experience that allows for collaboration, growth, and development, as well as shared perspectives. The libraries encourage broad participation in reaching decisions, and consequently the Health Sciences Librarian will contribute to discussions, provide input, and serve on various committees and teams. The Health Sciences Librarian will pursue professional development opportunities, including research, publication, and professional service activities to meet library-wide criteria for tenure and promotion.
To support all colleagues, students, faculty, and staff, and foster excellence in a diverse and collaborative society, the libraries actively seek candidates who bring culturally rich lived experiences and are excited to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, and perspectives.
- Provide librarian services to the students, faculty, and staff in the Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, and Pharmacy at UF Health Jacksonville. Librarian services include instruction, consultation, collection development, and other client-centered services as appropriate.
- Design, deliver, and market educational programming on such topics as database searching, educational support tools, and new resources and technologies of interest and benefit to students, residents, faculty, and staff.
- Collaborate with UF Health Jacksonville faculty on information-related projects, including curriculum development and complex evidence syntheses.
- Maintain knowledge of emerging educational technologies and library trends, and their effective application in health sciences libraries.
- Participate in developing and implementing outreach services and marketing strategies for Borland.
- In the absence of the Director, provide professional oversight to the Borland Access Services unit (circulation and interlibrary loan).
- Collect and report statistics of services provided.
- Actively engage in diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, support diverse communities, and create a welcoming environment for all.
- Pursue professional development opportunities to meet the criteria for tenure and promotion, including research, publication, and professional service activities.
To apply, submit
- a cover letter detailing your interest in, and qualifications for this position
- your current resume or CV
- a list of three references including their contact information (telephone number and email address)
- a written statement regarding “What is the librarian’s role in an academic health center with active clinical and teaching missions?” (250 words)
Apply by 11:55 pm (EST) on November 29, 2023. Applications will be reviewed as received. Submit all application materials through the Jobs at UF online application system at Requisition 529214
. Failure to submit the required documents may result in the application not being considered. If you have any questions or concerns about this process, please contact Joe Piazza, George A. Smathers Libraries Human Resources Office, at email@example.com
Health Sciences Librarian
||University of Florida, George A Smathers Libraries
||$61,112 minimum salary
|Posting Start Date:
||Research indicates that applicants from underrepresented groups are hesitant to apply for positions if they do not meet all the preferred qualifications. We want to emphasize that the preferred qualifications are not required and that we are committed to helping our future colleague develop the preferred skills. Additionally, applicants are encouraged to communicate how their work and other experiences satisfy the required qualifications in ways that may not be obvious.
- Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited (or foreign equivalent) program, or other relevant advanced degree in subject specialty.
- Appointment at the Associate University Librarian rank requires eight years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated interest in providing information services to, and collaborating with, health sciences students, educators, researchers, and clinicians.
- Experience using health-related information resources such as PubMed and CINAHL.
- Strong commitment to client-focused service.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills including oral and written communication.
- Initiative, flexibility, and the ability to adapt and work creatively in a complex, rapidly changing academic environment.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with students, faculty, administrators, and the general public.
- Willingness to occasionally travel to Gainesville (no more than every other month).
- Demonstrated commitment to including individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, gender, sexual orientation, and/or perspectives in research, teaching, service, or other work.
- Strong potential to meet the requirements for tenure and promotion outlined in the departmental by-laws.
- Experience working in an academic health sciences library, hospital library, or clinical environment.
- Experience designing and delivering instruction.
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in a health or life science.
||This listing expires on: 1/1/2024