Information Services Coordinator
JOB NUMBER 2023-00242
King County Library System (KCLS) is seeking a collaborative Information Services Coordinator with direct experience managing library services and a passion for overseeing Information Services programs and initiatives.
This position reports to the Adult & Community Services Manager as part of the Library, Outreach, Programming & Services team responsible for Information Services and managing the Ask KCLS department.
About the opportunity:
As the Information Services Coordinator you will play a leading role system wide in advancing information services and projects, in collaboration with other key stakeholders across KCLS.
Under the guidance of the Adult & Community Services Manager, you will provide development, administration, and supervision of Information Services programs and initiatives. You will also provide services in support of the KCLS mission, vision, strategy, and goals. In addition, you will perform a variety of administrative and professional work in developing, planning, organizing, managing, coordinating, facilitating, training, and evaluating a variety of information services related programs and activities. In this position, you will manage the staff, operations and budget of the Ask KCLS service point.
Required: Applicants must attach a current resume and cover letter which addresses relevant work experience, education, and training as it relates to this position.
About King County Library System:
KCLS has a vision of a world where knowledge allows diverse communities to prosper and grow. In order to support this vision we create opportunities through meaningful connections by acting as the knowledge sharing center for over 1.5 million diverse patrons, providing an unparalleled collection of library materials, resources, technology, services, and programs.
Approximately 1,000 engaged and passionate staff provide service in 50 library locations and in community engagement using direct outreach and virtual assistance. Our service area includes the cities, towns, tribal lands, and unincorporated districts of King County, with the exception of the city of Seattle.
From a 2021-2022 comprehensive Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Assessment Demographics and Language Report, of the more than 1.5 million residents who live within the KCLS service area, almost half identify as Black, Indigenous, or People of Color (BIPOC). Moreover, roughly one-third of the KCLS community speaks a language other than English as their first language.
The King County Library System values diverse perspectives, life experiences, and differences. KCLS encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans. We are committed to being equitable and fair in providing access to opportunities for all. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to apply for this position or to perform the essential functions of this position.
To request accommodation please call 425-369-3224.
The items listed in this section are the key duties and responsibilities for this job and do not represent an exhaustive list. Our organization is dynamic and therefore duties may change based on business necessity; however, any new duties will remain within the scope of the job.
- Provides overall leadership including planning, budgeting, coordinating, and evaluating activities of Ask KCLS.
- Supervises assigned staff including selection and hiring, training and development, performance evaluation, discipline, and scheduling.
- Assesses workflow within assigned area of focus and adjusts staffing as needed.
- Manages reception and front desk at the KCLS Service Center including coordination of volunteer staff from other departments as needed, and training and support for receptionists and back-up staff that covers the full scope of Service Center information services’ needs.
- Oversees the establishment of standards, methods, and technical specifications for developing and maintaining content and services related to Ask KCLS and system-wide information service.
- Oversees the reporting, recording, and analysis of data, ensuring consistency, accuracy, completeness, and relevance to system goals and objectives.
- Analyzes information marketplace trends and engages in strategic development of new library service opportunities.
- Leads in the design, implementation, and evaluation of new services and programs to ensure selections consistent with KCLS quality and patron service expectations.
- Prepares a variety of studies, reports, and related information to facilitate decision-making.
- Coordinates with team members and stakeholders to implement projects, services, and programs.
- Collaborates with leaders to identify and meet training needs related to information services for Librarians, Public Services Assistants, and information services providers, in partnership with Learning & Development.
- Manages timely and predictable implementation of new services including communication and support for staff and patrons.
- Directs, facilitates, and manages consultant and vendor relationships and contracts.
- Guides staff in managing escalations to vendors to address patron needs.
- Directs and develops policies and procedures in area of focus.
- Provides customer service on KCLS systems, including remote information services platforms, the Ask KCLS phone system, ILS systems, and 3rd party and hosted services.
- Participates in professional activities and facilitates presentations.
- Attends meetings, trainings, and serves on various committees.
- Performs direct reports’ work as needed.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Information Services Coordinator
|King County Library System
|Posting Start Date:
|Education and Experience
The items listed below are the minimum requirements for the job and are relevant to this position. The organization values both work experience and education and realizes that individuals take different paths to acquire knowledge.
- Masters of Library Science degree from an American Library Association accredited program.
- Two to four years’ practical and progressive experience in managing library services.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the necessary qualifications to successfully perform the duties of the position will be considered.
Knowledge and Skills
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Model for customer service mindset and delivery.
- Demonstrated commitment to community and the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Analytical and decision-making skills to assess an issue and determine an optimal solution.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Flexible and adapts to changing needs.
- Project management from inception through completion.
- Effectively designs, implements, and evaluates programs and services.
- Adept verbal, active listening, and written communication skills with various and diverse audiences.
- Develops and maintains cooperative working relationships.
- A Washington State Librarian’s Certificate is required.
Each KCLS position has job-specific competencies. These competencies describe characteristics needed for optimum performance in the position. In addition, there are organizational competencies applicable to all positions at KCLS that encompass the culture and set expectations for how work is performed and leadership competencies for all supervisory roles.
Manages relationships with all kinds and classes of people inclusively and equitably. Respects, values, and encourages the unique dimension each employee adds to the organization and each member of the community brings to the whole. Seeks opportunities to learn about differences.
Primarily focused on customer needs, able to deliver high-quality, value-added services. Constantly strives to find new ways to increase customer satisfaction and understanding, foster equitable services, and forge meaningful connections.
Ethics, Values and Judgement
Exercises best judgment, trustworthiness, and professional standards of conduct. Consistently demonstrates organizational values, moral principles, and accountability in behavior, character, and action. Defends intellectual freedom and confidentiality.
Professional and Technical Knowledge
Demonstrates proficiency in professional and technical skills and/or knowledge in position-related areas. Purposely keeps up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise, in order to better foster personal success and connections for others.
Coaching and Counseling
Facilitates the development of other’s knowledge, abilities, and skills to fulfill job and role responsibilities more effectively. Provides timely feedback, guidance, and encouragement to help others achieve better performance and goals. Builds confidence of others.
Tactfully provides direct and actionable feedback in a timely manner. Is open and direct but not intimidating. Deals head-on with people and problems even in the most difficult situations.
Conveys ideas and information in a way that is clear, engaging, and suitable to the audience. Main point of their message is apparent. Listens more than they speak and responds appropriately. Seeks influence.
Building Effective Teams
Blends people into cohesive teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals. Creates and supports strong morale and a healthy work environment.
Makes decisions and solves problems. Can deal adeptly with varied levels of complexity, ambiguity, and risk. Takes responsibility and accepts ownership for decisions regardless of outcome. Responds promptly and appropriately in crisis situations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee:
- Constantly sits throughout work shift and occasionally will stand and walk.
- Will frequently reach out at chest level and occasionally reach up or down.
- Constantly using hands in conjunction with frequent finger use. Keyboarding may be repetitive up to frequently.
- Occasional neck rotation to use multiple monitors.
- Is changing tasks depending upon the shift. Extensive close work including use of a PC monitor.
- Will occasionally lift and carry up to 10 lbs. and seldom lift up to 50 pounds.
- Will seldom push/pull carts and wheeled equipment with light force.
Work is performed in a typical office environment. Work schedule may include early morning and evening meetings. Incumbent may be permitted hybrid telework schedule upon request.
|This listing expires on: 3/10/2024