Full-Time Readers’ Advisor
Darien Library seeks an enthusiastic, creative, collegial, and motivated candidate to join our dynamic Reader Services department full-time. The successful candidate will have a strong focus on customer service, a passion for reading and discussing books, and the ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, friendly environment. This position reports to the Head of Reader Services.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Staffing the Welcome Desk for three-to-four hours per day to provide extreme customer service to our library patrons and perform a variety of public-facing circulation duties.
- Reading avidly and sharing your passion for reading with patrons and fellow staff members in person, via video, or through written communications.
- Offering confident readers advisory in person and online.
- Participating in departmental tasks related to the Welcome Desk and fiction collections including creating book displays, responding to patron emails and phone calls, and developing readers’ advisory tools.
- Writing and editing content for the Reader Services monthly newsletter and other communications.
- Management of museum passes and budget.
- Facilitation and management of discussion programs targeting adult patrons and readers.
- Participating in collections and acquisitions tasks for Adult Fiction and Mystery.
- Keeping up-to-date with new trends in libraries, particularly in readers’ advisory services for adults, and encouraging collaborative partnerships within the Library to support ongoing initiatives.
- Working a minimum of one evening per week, and a minimum of one weekend a month, in addition to special events and possible multiple evening programs per month.
|Posting Start Date:
|Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree desirable.
- 2-5 years experience in a customer service-oriented position.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and a patron-centered approach to library service that employs unwavering kindness and professionalism.
- Strong aptitude in oral and written communications.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Applications and a knowledge of Mailchimp and Canva is desired.
- Experience in event planning and support.
- Experience in collection development or book purchasing.
- Ability to perform as a flexible team player in the daily activities of public library work. Willingness to learn, collaborate, multi-task, problem solve, and be forward-thinking when setting goals for the department.
- Ability to take initiative and independently organize work, set priorities, and follow up on assignments.
- Deep understanding of the Fairfield County reading community.
- Bilingual candidates, or those with functional knowledge of another language, are highly desirable.
Please see the full job posting for additional details. Apply by Friday, January 26, 2024.
- Essential job duties and responsibilities include remaining in a stationary position for extended periods, the ability to regularly lift and carry objects such as books up to 50 lbs., bend, stoop, and reach. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential duties.
|This listing expires on: 3/12/2024