Sonoma County Library
Announces an Employment Opportunity
LIBRARY ASSOCIATE – HEALDSBURG REGIONAL LIBRARY
40 HOURS PER WEEK – FULL-TIME
Please see the attached job specifications for full details about this position.
We are seeking a Library Associate for the Healdsburg Regional Library. Under general supervision, this position performs a wide range of library tasks; assists patrons by answering reference and other questions and in selecting library materials; and performs related duties as required. Spanish bilingual skills are highly desired.
TYPICAL TASKS include, but are not limited to:
- Receives and responds to questions from patrons concerning resources; answers reference questions from patrons or directs more difficult reference questions to appropriate librarian.
- Advises patrons of library policies, procedures, and services in person and over the telephone.
- Uses the online catalog and other resources to assist patrons in locating and selecting books and reference materials; instructs patrons in the use of library equipment and resources including the Internet; conducts subject searches.
- Uses a computer to enter and retrieve information, locate library materials and charge and discharge materials; receives and processes requests and holds.
- May assist in compiling booklists and pathfinders and answering reference questions in the area of specialty.
- Receives inter-library loan requests; searches relevant database systems; confirms orders; upon receipt, verifies order and forwards item to patron; follows-up on items to ensure a timely return to originating library.
- Assists the Branch Manager or others with various administrative tasks and programs.
- Maintains shelf order; collects and accounts for fees and fines and makes deposits as necessary; keeps library records; writes reports.
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Principles and practices of paraprofessional library work, including library reference, readers’ advisory, and other library services.
- Principles, techniques, and procedures in cataloging, indexing, classifying, and organizing library materials.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and Library staff.
- Organize own work and the work of others, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Interpret, explain, and apply all relevant Library policies and procedures, and applicable Federal and State laws, codes, and regulations.
- Use computer and other technology, including software, hardware, and the Internet sufficient to be able to assist customers, conduct research, prepare reports, and use email and other communications technologies.
Education and Experience: Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university; and two (2) years of work experience in library services. Spanish bilingual skills are highly desired.
SALARY RANGE: $26.75/hour to $33.43/hour
CLOSING DATE: 5:00 p.m., Thursday, December 30, 2021
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please go to https://www.calopps.org/sonoma-county-library
to apply. Applications must be complete and submitted by the final filing date in order to be considered. Resumes will not substitute for a completed application.
The application process may contain one or more of the following steps: a supplemental application, written test(s), skills assessment(s), and/or oral examination(s).
Employment offers will be contingent upon a successful pre-employment verification/criminal records clearance. Having a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from employment.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Sonoma County Library has adopted a vaccination and testing policy to help mitigate transmission of COVID-19. All Sonoma County Library employees will be required to either have documented proof of full COVID-19 vaccination on file or consent to weekly COVID-19 testing.
RECRUITING PROTOCOL IN RESPONSE TO CORONAVIRUS COVID-19:
Pursuant to California Governor Newsom’s Executive Order N-29-20 issued on March 17, 2020, and all applicable COVID 19 Shelter in Place Orders issued by the Sonoma County Health Officer, the recruiting process including interviews, testing, etc. will be held via teleconference or online, if possible, unless changes occur in the state and/or county health order.
REQUEST FOR ACCOMMODATION: Sonoma County Library will make reasonable accommodations in the recruitment process to accommodate applicants with disabilities. If you are invited to participate in an examination or interview and have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department at (707) 545-0831 extension 1591 as soon as possible to make arrangements for your accommodation. Requesting accommodations at least 3 working/business days before the scheduled event will help to ensure availability. For further information regarding disability accommodations provided by the Library and related matters, see the Library’s website at https://sonomalibrary.org/accessibility.
Sonoma County Library values diversity, empowerment, community, unity, kindness, connection, and equity. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in the recruiting and hiring of staff.