Dean, School of Computing and Information
The University of Pittsburgh School of Computing and Information (SCI) is seeking a strategic, visionary, and transformational leader who understands the rapidly changing landscape of higher education, and can position SCI as an innovative school that is agile enough to quickly adapt to new realities while maintaining strength in areas of historic excellence and relevance. The new Dean will lead with an inclusive approach, engaging faculty, students, staff, and alumni to move the school forward while also operating with a distinctly entrepreneurial perspective, exploring new opportunities to increase SCI’s reach, impact, and national and international reputation.
Founded as the School of Computing and Information in 2017, the school offers six undergraduate majors
and accelerated BS+MS programs in Computer Science and Information Science. The school recently launched new undergraduate majors in Data Science, Computational Social Science, and Digital Narrative and Interactive Design. Through five master’s programs
, six doctoral programs
, and six graduate certificates
, graduate students develop critical knowledge and conduct well-regarded research in both constant and emerging areas. Degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students can engage in experiential learning through internships, cooperative education opportunities, and field and research experiences. In addition, SCI has launched the Professional Graduate Program Initiative to address the need and demand for continued skills and credentials. The initiative expands on the offerings of the existing Professional Institute, which helps working professionals gain critical skills in cybersecurity.
As the school’s executive leader and reporting to the Provost, the Dean will develop and execute a strategic plan for SCI that leverages its unique position within the University of Pittsburgh to create innovative programs, partnerships, and distinctive opportunities for both students and faculty. The Dean will be responsible for strengthening existing departments and programs and further developing the capacity of SCI, including facilitating broader collaboration and synergies across the University and beyond. Leading with a distinctly entrepreneurial perspective, the Dean will combine academic thought leadership with managerial acumen, be adept at facilitating partnerships and collaborations, and serve as a trusted member of the Provost’s leadership team.
The Dean must be a respected leader with a track record of strong scholarship, an energetic and conscientious administrator broadly familiar with issues in higher education, a strong advocate for excellence in teaching and research, and an unwavering champion for diversity, equity, and inclusion. In addition, candidates must have achievement in research and scholarship that meet the requirements for obtaining tenure at the full professor level within SCI, including a terminal degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or a related field. While a range of academic backgrounds will be considered, ideal candidates will have demonstrated experience and success in the following areas:
- Serving in an academic leadership position, exercising the requisite administrative, financial, and organizational skills to work effectively and collegially with members of the faculty, staff, and university leadership to advance the academic enterprise.
- Recruiting and retaining diverse and distinguished scholars and teachers from a variety of discipinary backgrounds.
- Creating and implementing high-quality academic programs and innovative credentials, effectively engaging with the university community.
- Developing finanical support for a school or academic unit, leveraging both internal resources and external funding and fundraising opportunities.
- Establishing and enhancing ties with other schools, institutions, and industry partners.
- Leading research, teaching, and service missions, with enthusiasm and support for the engaged learning experiences of undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.
- Building diverse and inclusive teams, with a demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at all levels.
Please see the full position specification
for additional information about this opportunity.
The University of Pittsburgh SCI Dean search committee has retained Spencer Stuart to assist in this recruitment and is eager to receive input that will help it build a diverse pool of talented individuals. To that end, the search committee welcomes comments, inquiries, nominations, and applications, which may be submitted via email with supporting materials to: PittSCIDean@SpencerStuart.com
. Applications should include a cover letter addressing the experience and capabilities in the position specification
, as well as a CV or resume. Applications received by January 20, 2022, will receive full consideration, though applications may be accepted for the duration of the search process.