Other Employment Links - City of Berkeley, CA (governmentjobs.com)
Berkeley Public Library is pleased to announce we are seeking qualified candidates for the position of Supervising Librarian. The Supervising Librarian is a mid-level supervisory position reporting to a Library Services Manager, with primary oversight for a Branch Library or unit within the Central Library. The current vacancy is at the Central Library, providing supervisory support to Adult Services which includes the Reference and Arts & Music divisions This recruitment will enable the Library to create an eligible list for the classification and may be used to fill additional vacancies such as for branch libraries or other specialty areas such as children’s or teen services.
Berkeley Public Library is one of the San Francisco Bay Area's premier public libraries, with strong community backing, a diverse and engaged workforce, and numerous creative projects. Library Journal designated it a five-star library this past year as a result of its range and depth of services.
This job is for you if you like to:
- Mentor and coach employees
- Encourage engagement with staff and facilitate team projects
- Identify ways to foster community-responsive library services
- Build relationships and engage with a diverse community
- Employ empathy and transparency in communications
- Learn, grow, and have fun at work
Your skill set:
- Strong social/emotional intelligence, empathy
- Commitment to exceptional customer service
- Adept at collaboration and teambuilding
- Experience developing and implementing plans to reach challenging goals
- Flexibility and openness to change
- Ability to set priorities and evaluate results
- Knowledgeable about current best practices in libraries
- Leadership in robust program development, community partnerships and services
Major responsibilities may include:
- Plan, organize, schedule, supervise and review the work of professional, technical and support staff;
- Develop and direct the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for assigned activity;
- Recommend selection of assigned staff, evaluates work performance and provides for their training and professional development;
- Participate in Library operations, including material selection, public service and community relations, and reference and readers advisory service; makes studies and recommendations for improved service delivery;
- Provide for facility upkeep and maintenance;
- Participate in supervisory staff meetings and acts as a liaison between library management and branch staff;
- Assist in developing the branch budget requirements;
- Serve on various library committees, both within and outside the library and collaborates with library management staff in service assessments;
- Maintain records and prepares periodic or special reports regarding branch activities or related matters;
- Represent Berkeley Public Library in meetings with the public, citizens groups and other agencies; and
- Perform related work as assigned.
||Berkeley Public Library
||$8,128.67 - $9,792.88 monthly
|Posting Start Date:
Equivalent to graduation from a college or university with a Master's degree in Library Science.
Three (3) years of experience as a professional librarian. Some lead or supervisory experience is desirable. Progressively responsible related experience may be substituted for the college coursework on a year for year basis.
Must be able to travel to various locations within and outside the City of Berkeley to meet the program needs and to fulfill the job responsibilities. When driving on City business, maintenance of a valid California driver's license and satisfactory driving record is required. Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
||This listing expires on: 8/11/2021