Director of Library Services
The Director of Library Services is the chief administrator of Woodward Library. The Director reports to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and serves on the Provost’s Leadership Team. The Director is responsible for providing vision and leadership for an experienced and knowledgeable Library faculty (11) and staff (14); managing an overall budget of approximately $3.3 million; and planning, implementing, overseeing, and assessing library services and resources. The Director represents the Library to the university, profession, and local community.
Austin Peay State University is a four-year public, doctoral-level university, with six colleges and four Chairs of Excellence. The University has an enrollment of over 10,000 students and is located in Clarksville, Tennessee, a community of an estimated 150,287 people located approximately 40 miles northwest of Nashville, TN.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Leading service units (access/discovery, technology/digital, academic support librarians, faculty pedagogy development).
- Developing visionary, energetic goals for the library and learning center inclusive of teaching, learning, academic support, assessment, and scholarship/research.
- Fostering innovation and forward-thinking practices, maximizing performance of personnel and use of physical and virtual environments.
- Partnering with school/college deans to strategically contribute to the University’s enrollment, student success, scholarship/research, and innovative interdisciplinary and internationally oriented educational programs.
- Enhancing the intellectual vitality of the University by promoting and developing resources for faculty and student scholarship (including the scholarship of teaching and learning), entrepreneurial creativity, collaborative projects, and evolving approaches to teaching and learning.
- Advancing academic excellence while promoting a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Contributing to University cultivation of corporate and foundation relationships as these relate to fundraising and external grants.
- Participating in university and academic program accreditation processes and reporting.
- Serving as a member of the Provost’s Leadership Team, University Library Advisory Committee, Woodward Library Society Board (friends of the library organization), and other committees or work groups as needed.
- Performing other related duties as assigned or requested.
Director of Library Services
||Austin Peay State University
|Posting Start Date:
||Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven record of success as a transparent communicator and participatory leader who effectively establishes relationships with the faculty, staff, and students who work at Felix G. Woodward Library.
- Demonstrated knowledge of important issues facing academic libraries (e.g. scholarly communications, equity of information access, open access, evolving integrated library systems) and a willingness to foster innovation.
- Commitment to understanding and addressing the library needs of all undergraduate and graduate students and faculty/staff, recognizing a variety of experiences, identities, locations, perspectives, and ways of knowing.
- Experience strategically leading and supporting faculty and staff through rapid technological changes and trends in librarianship.
- Experience with making library spaces (virtual and physical) attractive, safe, and accessible for students to study, meet, create, and experience emerging technologies (e.g. information resources, makerspace, video production suite). Such a vision is based on a deep understanding and experience with modern pedagogy for library spaces as lived environments.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion among library staff, faculty, and users as it relates to workplace, resources, programs, and accessibility with an understanding of the issues affecting diverse populations.
- The ability to manage complex budgets and prioritize resources in alignment with strategic goals in a financially sustainable manner.
- Ability to create collaborative relationships across diverse academic disciplines, the deans of the academic colleges, and the broader community, promoting the library’s role in the teaching/learning process.
- Willingness to build relationships with individual and corporate donors (including alumni and parents) to further library priorities and initiatives.
- Ability to foster a collegial working environment and build consensus within a shared governance structure.
- Understanding of current and emerging trends in higher education and academic library leadership.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- An ALA-Accredited Master of Library Science or Master of Information Science or equivalent degree.
- A strong record of achievement in the areas of research, teaching, and service with evidence meriting appointment as the rank of tenured associate or full professor within the Felix G. Woodward Library.
- Minimum 3 years administrative experience in higher education facilitating library operations of sufficient complexity to prepare the candidate to be successful as Director of the Felix G. Woodward Library.
- A doctorate relevant to leadership of a research university library (e.g. Library Science, Information Science, Higher Education Leadership).
- Experience in leading the development and implementation of a strategic plan as well as library mission, vision, and goal statements.
- An understanding of the library needs of faculty from across the campus in a university that
- continues to increase its research capacity.
- Experience in encouraging library faculty and staff in shared governance.
- Experience communicating with local, regional, and national stakeholders impacting the operations of the institution.
- Experience in recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff.
- Experience in managing and maintaining library operations during crisis (e.g., COVID-19, staffing shortages, budget reallocations).
- Experience in fund raising, grant support, and grant awards
||This listing expires on: 8/29/2022