Youth Services Manager (Librarian I)
Manages and supervises youth department of a community library. Serves as person-in-charge as needed. Serves on branch management team. Responds to the needs of library customers and resolves more complex customer issues. Performs all essential information and support duties. Performs other duties as may be assigned to further the goals and objectives of Fairfax County Public Library.
Note: This job announcement will be used to fill future full-time Youth Services Manager (Librarian I) vacancies.
Salary: The selected applicant's starting annual salary will be in the minimum to midpoint range ($54,421.54 - $72,561.84) of the advertised compensation range. Promotional rules apply for current Fairfax County Government and Fairfax County Public Schools employees.
Schedule: Scheduling flexibility is imperative. Standard hours may include day and/or evening hours to include weekdays and weekends as assigned. The schedule may vary depending on the needs of the library.
To learn more about a career with Fairfax County Public Library, watch our video "Library Staff Share Why They Love Working at the Library"
- Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position description.)
- Answers informational and reference questions from customers using print and electronic resources;
- Assists and instructs customers in the use of print and online materials and technology;
- Advises and assists customers in the selection of books, periodicals, media, and other materials;
- Plans and provides programs and outreach to customers of all ages;
- Maintains collection by weeding, marketing, and merchandising library materials;
- Troubleshoots library computers and reports unresolved problems through proper channels;
- Performs copy cataloging of library materials;
- Identifies materials to be considered for addition to the library collection;
- Remains current in resources, services and technologies in the information field;
- May supervise volunteers;
- May serve as person in charge;
- Manages all activities of youth services department in a community library;
- May supervise one or more Library Information Assistant positions;
- Serves on Branch Management Team and acts as person-in-charge as needed.
- Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
- Knowledge of the principles, standards, and practices of library science;
- Knowledge of library reference sources and methods;
- Ability to create or curate professional resources;
- Ability to use professional knowledge to manage the library's collection;
- Ability to prioritize and manage a self-directed workload;
- Ability to provide information service to customers of all ages;
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with others;
- Ability to exercise tact, good judgment, and initiative;
- Knowledge of word processing and computer applications;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing to answer reference questions and provide reading guidance;
- Knowledge of the Library's operating procedures;
- Ability to interpret Library policy for staff and the general public;
- Ability to promote interest in library services;
- Ability to plan and provide community-oriented library programs and outreach;
- Ability to adapt to workplace change;
- Ability to classify and catalog material;
- Ability to effectively train and supervise others;
- Ability to plan and provide youth-oriented library programs and outreach.
Youth Services Manager (Librarian I)
||Fairfax County Government
|Posting Start Date:
Master's degree from an ALA (American Library Association) accredited library school; or ability to obtain a master's degree from an accredited library school within three months of the job advertisement closing date.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Possession of a certificate issued by the Virginia State Board for Certification of Librarians within (3) three months of date of appointment to the position.
- Master's in library science from an ALA-accredited library school;
- One or more years of professional library experience, to include demonstrated supervisory experience;
- Experience providing readers' advisory services to patrons requiring children's literature or materials;
- Experience planning, developing, and facilitating programs for children and young adults.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- The appointee to the position will be required to complete a criminal background check and Child Protective Services Registry check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Ability to travel to various locations throughout Fairfax County to provide coverage, attend meetings and trainings.
Ability to lift up to 15 pounds Ability to input, access, and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to perform repetitive hand, arm, wrist and shoulder movements. Ability to stand for 2 hours at a time. Ability to shelve materials at all height levels. Ability to stoop, bend, reach, squat, and kneel. Ability to push and pull 4-wheeled book bins filled at 90% capacity, requiring 20 >pounds of initial (starting) force, and a sustained force of 10 pounds after initial acceleration. Ability to push and pull 4-wheeled book carts filled at 70% capacity, requiring 14 pounds of initial (starting) force, and a sustained force of 7 pounds after initial acceleration. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include an oral, practical and/or written exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.
||This listing expires on: 10/31/2022