Data Services Librarian
The University of North Texas Libraries seeks innovative candidates who have a strong commitment to service and learning for the position of Data Services Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Library Research Support Services, the Data Services Librarian will work in a dynamic, active learning environment to support students and researchers in locating appropriate datasets using appropriate research design and methodologies and sharing their data according to legal and funder requirements.
SPECIFIC POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide research assistance to UNT faculty and students in discovering, analyzing, managing and using data
- Articulate a vision for the services, infrastructure, and skills required to support the data needs of researchers and for adhering to the FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management and stewardship
- Develop data literacy programs and instructional materials to educate UNT students and researchers about research designs and methodologies, how to discover, manage, analyze and visualize data, and consider ethical implications of using and representing data
- Collaborate with the Libraries’ Collection Development department to recommend data resources for acquisition by the UNT Libraries
- Collaborate with employees of the Libraries and stakeholders on campus to develop and provide data-management services, including consulting on data management plans to be included in grant proposals submitted by principal investigators at the university and advising on options for sharing data
- Depending on the needs of the Libraries, serve as subject librarian for one or more academic programs, providing instruction to classes on using the Libraries’ resources and helping students and faculty use the Libraries
- Foster positive relations with faculty, students, and staff and promote the University’s and Libraries’ commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Provide research assistance, give guest lectures, and serve on other library and university committees as assigned
- According to expectations for library faculty members, contribute professionally through scholarship and service to the university and external communities
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in library or information science, an international equivalent, or another post-baccalaureate degree conferred by the date of hire
- Experience locating, analyzing, visualizing, and managing data
- Ability to explain research designs and methodologies to students and researchers from various fields
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and develop working relationships with other stakeholders in a service, such as a university’s academic departments and support services.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team within a culturally diverse user community of faculty, students, administrators, and the general public
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Demonstrated problem-solving capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to be organized, adjust priorities, manage time wisely, and make quick, effective decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Two years of experience working in higher education or a library setting
- Experience working with spreadsheets and familiarity with common data file formats
- Knowledge of publicly available and proprietary data sources
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Knowledge of software tools to support data cleanup, visualization, and analysis, such as but not limited to R, SPSS, SAS, Stata, NVivo, Python, SQL, Tableau, or ArcGIS
- Knowledge of federal legal requirements for research on human subjects (the Common Rule) and for sharing research data such as FERPA and HIPPA
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for at least three professional references to https://jobs.untsystem.edu/postings/61599
The University of North Texas is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution committed to diversity in its employment and educational programs, thereby creating a welcoming environment for everyone.
Data Services Librarian
||University of North Texas
||Salary is dependent on experience with a minimum of $57,641.00 (Assistant Librarian rank) and $62,641.40 (Associate Librarian rank).
|Posting Start Date:
||This listing expires on: 11/2/2022