Head of Collections & Systems
Head of Collections & Systems
|Posting Start Date:
||Head of Collections & Systems
Williams Libraries seeks a collaborative and forward-thinking librarian to lead our department of Collections and Systems. We believe that our collections are a vital component of how we develop inclusive library services for our increasingly diverse community. Our new Head of Collections & Systems will be excited to lead the department and the collection liaison librarians in developing collections that meet the needs of the Williams community through bibliodiverse collections, critical and culturally inclusive cataloging, and that contribute to building an open, sustainable, scholarly communications infrastructure.
We develop collections that support evolving academic priorities and an inclusive community with diverse needs. We make our collections accessible and discoverable, while balancing digital and print formats through agile and flexible funding. We value excellent personal service, innovative library services, and effective intellectual access to collections.
The successful candidate will embrace a flexible, responsive approach to the administration of a newly merged Collections & Systems department and be a member of the Libraries leadership team. This is a continuing, full-time, appointment reporting to the Director of Libraries.
- Prepare and monitor spending of a $3 million collections budget
- Supervise three librarians and seven staff members responsible for e-resource licensing, acquisition, description and organization of library materials in all formats, and the systems that provide access to these collections
- Lead the libraries’ e-resource and collection licensing negotiations
- Coordinate our overall collection strategy and the collection development work of liaison librarians
- Serve as a member of the Libraries leadership team and the Libraries Budget Management Group
- Cooperate closely with the Special Collections, Research Services, and Access Services staff to ensure our collections are accessible and discoverable
While we anticipate that many applicants will have earned a graduate degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited institution, or one in a related field, we will accept an equivalent mix of education and experience.
Research indicates that applicants with marginalized identities are hesitant to apply for positions if they do not meet all of the required and preferred qualifications. We want to emphasize that the preferred qualifications are not required and that we are committed to helping our future colleagues develop these preferred skills. We strongly encourage those who are passionate about supporting our mission through systems administration to apply.
- MLIS or equivalent mix of education and experience
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience, including some experience supervising people, and some experience with budget management and analysis, financial planning, and contract negotiation
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented organization
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to a rapidly evolving information landscape
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
Application review will begin on October 5, 2021. Pay starts in the high $70,000s, commensurate with experience. Job band 2-D. Please visit https://staff-careers.williams.edu/ to apply.
- Experience with the Ex Libris Alma library services platform (LSP) or an equivalent integrated library system (ILS)
- Familiarity with current standards for cataloging, description, and classification
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable.
Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and thrive. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please feel free to contact us via phone at (413) 597-2681 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Situated in the Berkshire Mountains of Western Massachusetts, Williams College offers a rich academic environment in a beautiful setting. The Berkshires—known as a cultural corridor—are a great place to live, work and raise a family, with several top-notch schools and an array of recreational opportunities from world-class museums to swimming holes to hiking trails. The New York Capital Region, Albany International Airport and Albany-Rensselaer Amtrak Train Station are just an hour away, and Boston and New York City are within three hours by car or bus.
Williams College has been around for more than 200 years, yet we’re constantly evolving and growing. As a liberal arts college, Williams has always taught fundamental problem-solving skills that students can use well beyond their four years here. We also recognize that facing complex
issues within our history and culture is necessary for sustaining an equitable, just and environmentally responsible community. We strive to create an inclusive culture in which every voice is heard. The college is committed to ensuring that everyone is able to find their place and thrive, no matter who you are, where you come from or what role you fulfill when you get here.
Williams invests in our employees, offering generous health care, tuition reimbursement, professional development opportunities, paid leave, access to gym facilities, discounts with local vendors, retirement plans and more. Our vibrant 450-acre campus is home to around 2,000 students who benefit from a 6:1 student-faculty ratio, and their energy is the heartbeat of an active population. Many people come to Williams for the job and stay for decades because of the lively environment and warm neighbors. You’re more than a person doing a job; you are joining our community.
||This listing expires on: 12/14/2021