REFORMANET was established as the official listserv of REFORMA (The National Association to Promote Library and Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish-speaking) in 1995 and later in 2013 was modified to become a Google Group mailing list.
The REFORMANET mailing list is open only to those who are currently active, dues-paying members of REFORMA. To become a member of REFORMA, please visit Reforma.org/join. Should you experience a problem joining REFORMA please contact email@example.com.
The Google Group discussion list DOES NOT REQUIRE that you have a Google account. You will be able to use your institutional or personal email address to send and receive email messages on REFORMANET.
If you use REFORMANET you agree that you have read and will follow the guidelines and etiquette of this group.
Guidelines and Etiquette
There are guidelines governing behavior on this mailing list just as there are for any number of other organizations. All members are expected to adhere to these guidelines and treat one another with respect. If you have questions related to the guidelines please contact the list administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
. The REFORMANET administrator reserves the right to deny, suspend or terminate subscriptions for any person who violates these guidelines.
- The discussions on this mailing list are meant to be constructive and supportive and to stimulate dialogues. Please do not attack others or create contention.
- Do not “harvest” or collect other members' email addresses for use with other programs or organizations.
- Extend the same professional courtesies in your electronic communication as you would when dealing with a colleague in person.
- Do not post commercial messages or solicitations of any kind whether on behalf of an individual or entity unless you are a corporate member. Corporate members must adhere to corporate posting guidelines.
- Do not spam your fellow members.
- Exercise judgment in your comments since all information posted on REFORMANET is subject to libel and slander laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, indecent, vulgar, threatening, offensive or illegal materials are strictly prohibited.
- Send only messages relevant to REFORMA membership and the task of providing library and information services to Latinos and the Spanish Speaking.
- Members can use the list to encourage participation in national and local elections as well as legislation and to share bipartisan election information and voting resources.
- Do not use the list to endorse political parties, candidates or to campaign for candidates or elections, etc.
- Members can use the list to inform the membership about upcoming bills and legislation that may impact Spanish-speakers and/or Latinos.
- Job announcements should not be posted on REFORMANET. Guidelines for job announcements will be shared soon.
- Messages that have been flagged as inappropriate by other REFORMANet members may be subject to review. While this space welcomes opinions and experiences from all, any language that is deemed inflammatory or willfully ignorant through community flagging and feedback is subject to removal of the comments and may lead to potential suspension of the author.
- Identify yourself. Please sign your message with your name and affiliation. This way colleagues and others who may receive your message can contact you for follow up.
- Ask questions. Offer answers. Share your knowledge.
- Use a concise, descriptive subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Discussion threads grow quite long and readers are interested in the most concise presentation.
- When replying to a topic, be aware of the difference between a simple REPLY and REPLY PRIVATELY TO AUTHOR. If the entire membership can benefit from the info you are sharing REPLY, but if you only want to comment to the original poster please use REPLY PRIVATELY TO AUTHOR.
- Do not post administrative messages such as “remove me from the list” to the REFORMANET list. Instead, use the Google Groups interface and select MY SETTINGS to change your settings or to remove yourself from the REFORMANET group.
- If you want to change your e-mail address, you will need to ensure that the main REFORMA membership database knows about your new email address, either as your Primary Email or Secondary Email Address. It may be necessary for you to leave the group under the old email address and then to request membership under the new email address.
- Brevity is good. Warn other members of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with something like "Long Message."
- Messages posted should relate to the issues of REFORMA (Promoting Library and Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish-speaking), libraries in general, and questions that our members have. Tailor your message to the issue being addressed.
- Be polite in your communication. There is enough rancor in the world today and most of us look to REFORMA as a community that supports and champions our efforts.
About REFORMANET Administrators
While the REFORMA Executive Committee is ultimately responsible for REFORMANET, it is the duty of the administrator to monitor and enforce its guidelines. Mailing lists are administered by one or more administrators and their responsibilities include:
- Deciding on who can or cannot subscribe to the list
- Adding or removing subscribers
- Deciding who can or cannot post messages to the list
- Configuring other listserv functions and options
- Enforcing the guidelines for the REFORMANET mailing list
Google Groups General Information
How to Post a Message
You will be able to send email messages to REFORMANET once you have accepted an invitation or after you have requested to join the group.
To post a message, send an email to email@example.com
. The email you send will create a new topic on REFORMANET and be forwarded on to all subscribers/group members, who can then reply in turn. You can also use the web-based Google Groups interface and create new topics and reply to other topics using http://groups.google.com
if you have a Google account and have joined REFORMANET.
The default delivery method for all messages sent to REFORMANET is to receive every message as it arrives as a separate email. To change the delivery method to either Abridged (daily summary) or Digest (25 full messages bundled together as one message), you can either send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
requesting the change or you can make these changes yourself from REFORMANET’s Google Group’s homepage. However, you will need to have a Google account to access this page.
You will need a Google Account if you want to login to REFORMANET’s Google Group homepage and manage your membership settings directly, such as how you receive messages posted to the group.
A Google Account does not mean you need to use Gmail. Instead, you’re simply setting up login credentials for you to access the Google Group. (Note: If your email is already linked with Google or if you’re using Gmail, then you already have a Google Account.)
To create a Google Account visit http://accounts.google.com/NewAccount
and complete the online form. Once the form is completed, you’ll be sent a confirmation email from Google. Follow the URL in the email to verify your account and complete the process.
Make sure to use the same email address you have in your REFORMA Online Profile and the one that was used when you received your REFORMANET invitation. You can also add a Secondary Email to your REFORMA membership account info when you log in to your REFORMA account at https://www.reforma.org
if you prefer to use another email address.
Please feel free to email email@example.com
with any questions you may have about creating your account, accepting your invitation, or editing your membership.
The Association Management Software (AMS) system provides Reformistas with online forums
available via the REFORMA web site and REFORMA has also developed a growing presence on Facebook and other social media sites. The REFORMANET mailing list is not meant to replace the AMS online forums or Facebook. It is simply one more option. Hopefully, these multiple communication channels will allow Reformistas to find the method that works best for them to get the word out about the wonderful work they are doing within their communities.
The REFORMA Executive Board has created this Google Group for its members, but it is not responsible for the opinions and information that individual members post on this site. In the event of any inappropriate postings, the REFORMANET administrator will take appropriate action. If you feel there has been a violation of the guidelines governing the use of this mailing list, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
. The administrator reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these rules.
The REFORMA Executive Committee adopted these guidelines, rules, and etiquette for the REFORMANET mailing list on September 17, 2020.