REFORMA Noche de Cuentos Mini-Grants - Apply today!
We're accepting applications for the 2020 Noche de Cuentos Mini-Grants Program through July 24, 2020.
Noche de Cuentos (A Night of Stories) is a REFORMA family literacy initiative created to promote and preserve the art of storytelling within our Latino communities in the U.S. REFORMA believes that storytelling and the oral traditions are key to the transmission and preservation of culture, as well as a significant tool in developing literacy skills.
REFORMA will award 8 mini-grants of $300 to support Noche de Cuentos programs (virtual or in-person) during Latino Heritage Month, September 15 - October 15, 2020. We invite libraries and community organizations to apply and to use the Noche de Cuentos website as a tool to help them develop Noche programs in their community.
- Public libraries, academic libraries, school libraries, and community organizations in the United States including Puerto Rico are eligible to apply.
- The library or the person submitting the application must be a current member of REFORMA.
- The program must celebrate Latino culture. Proposed programs must focus on oral traditions and be storytelling based, with an emphasis on cultural literacy activities.
- Funds will be provided to pay for hired storyteller/performer, and to support other related expenses such as publicity, materials, decorations, and refreshments - as specified in your proposal. Only 10% of monies can be spent on refreshments.
- The program must take place during Latino Heritage Month, Sep. 15 - Oct. 15, 2020. Virtual or in-person.
- Winners must agree that publicity for their event will identify REFORMA as sponsor/partial sponsor. Winners agree to use the Noche de Cuentos program logo and flyer/poster templates provided by REFORMA.
- Winners must submit a final report by October 30, 2020.
- Winners must be willing to have their program featured on the REFORMA website, listserv, social media accounts, and Newsletter both in written and photographic detail.
- Applications must be received by 11:59 PM (PST) on July 24, 2020.
Selection criteria will be based on:
- Creativity of the program
- Level of community involvement
- Impact of the project
Winners must submit a final report by October 30, 2020, to include:
- Photos of the event to post on the website/newsletter
- Number of participants
- Ages of participants
- List and description of activities
- List of other pertinent information that you would like to share about your program
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- June 26 - July 24, 2020 - Submit proposals
- July 24 - August 7 - Proposals will be reviewed
- August 7 - 11 - Winners will be announced and monies disbursed
- September 15 - October 15 - Libraries host Noche de Cuentos
- October 30 - Reports due to the REFORMA